Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR for Europe based pilots

@vmc-on-top

You cannot do an FAA checkride (or writtens) outside the US anymore – well not officially. The one “famous operator in the UK” got finally terminated although he may still do training.

A better way is to train in Europe and then finish in the US – like I did in 2006 using the IMCR training logbook entries towards the FAA IR training hour requirement.

For theory, everybody (US and Europe) uses the computer question banks. But there are some good books for the FAA IR which are quite practical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I fly N reg in UK and have a IR(R) + 61.75. PLanning to do accelerated IR later this year in the US, then do check ride on return to UK.

re the theory, the school i spoke to highly recommended Sheppard Air.

Any views on whether to learn this parrot fashion, ie just learn the answers, or whether it is worthwhile doing a UK ground school before signing up for Sheppard Air?

One caveat to all of the above. At least here in SoCal there is a severe shortage of DPEs. You may well be able to do your IR in 10, 20, 30 days – but getting the checkride scheduled is the real issue. No matter which school you end up going to, make sure to ask them (and get a satisfactory answer) about the arrangements for the checkride. Some (e.g. Sling at KTOA) fly someone in once a month, others have a DPE on staff (that tends to be the big ‘sausage factory’ schools), still others just try to get you on a DPEs schedule. YMMV but it’s become pretty normal to schedule the checkride before you even start training.

I can only highly praise Angel City Flyers in Long Beach near LA. Highly busy airport, lots of other airports around, all year around nice weather (in the morning often fog but that clears up at around 10am), modern Diamond Fleet, …

Use the time, do all the self learning stuff for the theory exams from home (also definitely read the official FAA books – highly recommended), arrive, do the theory first, also prepare beforehand the FAA PPL license validation, do an appointment at the FSDO – and then go flying with ACF everyday. IR 30 days should definitely be doable if you’re prepared well.

Germany
Administrator

could you kindly provide a link of this new agreement between FAA and EASA?

thanks

Hello to everyone.
I’m aware of a new agreement between FAA and EASA for LICENCE and IR Rating conversions
My intention is to obtain an PPL SEP/MEP FAA from my EASA actually holded and valid to go in the USA and had an IR accelerated Training, to convert in an EASA IR.
Anyone informed about Cheap and professional SEP/MEP IR rating familiar with this new process?

Thanks a lot in advance

Italy

Peter wrote:

The US IR is hard flying!

Is not ;-) nobody dumps you out of CAS, nobody treats you as a nuisance, sometimes you’re asked to keep your speed up for the Airbus on approach behind you, sometimes to slow down for the F16s on approach ahead of you, but ATC just make it work. Nobody asks you for a PPR, nobody sends you inflated invoices for handling you did not use, instead they sometimes offer you a crew car so you can go have lunch in town.

Do note the smirky smiley.

Yes, it is taxing and demanding, you’re expected to get it right the first time, but if you don’t, and don’t do anything stupid while at it, ATC will work it out with you, not entrap you.

Getting the FAA IR on an accelerated course was the most flying fun I had in a long time, if not ever. It was also the most taxing and mentally demanding thing I have done in a long time.

Do not expect to get any sightseeing done while at it. Leave it for after.

Yes, the pilotedge recommendation above might be worthwhile, especially if you fly in a sim; if not, then just LiveATC from the area you will be training in. Not just TWR, but all the frequencies, including the ground ones.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

The US IR is hard flying!

Agreed. Don’t underestimate the FAA IR checkride. Most US pilots will say it’s the hardest of all the ratings, and mine was extremely challenging. My EASA IR skill test was a walk in the park by comparison.

EHRD, Netherlands

I would advise picking a school which operates the type you normally fly. You will be a much better pilot at the end of it. The US IR is hard flying!

Administrator
134 Posts
Sign in to add your message