Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

Good to know your approach. Was always nice to visit EuroGA, while planning a new route. One less reason to come here then.

I am going to struggle to post a civilised response to that, but let me try anyway.

You are developing a product. You enter into an association with a nonprofit community site to test and promote it, including spending £ hundreds printing leaflets (and distributing them to hundreds of airports and at a further cost of a few hundred £ on airmail to a similar number of aeroclubs) which mention it. Then after a year or two you basically tell that site to f—k off. But you expect them to continue promoting it.

Have I got that right, AndersB?

Another thing is that EuroGA is, as I keep saying, a community site. The content is what you (and others) contribute. It was set up to promote European GA. It isn’t a €300/year aviation newspaper.

The correct ethical way to resolve this moral dilemma would be by having links on the home page to every aviation product which anyone finds useful, but the home page would get, ahem, awfully cluttered It also causes issues with implicit product endorsement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

Of course you have the full story (and as often, there may be two sides) and I don’t. For me, the link/banner drew traffic to the EuroGA site and I thought that was a good idea!

Now, I have arranged with direct login (super simple process to convert on their site), so the excellent Autorouter tool can still be used, but I just don’t pass EuroGA on my way there any more. I will of course still look and contribute to EuroGA, as I enjoy it much as well, but I just assume not as often anymore. I would assume I’m not the only one doing so.

Last Edited by AndersB at 19 Mar 20:27
ESOW, Sweden

I don’t really know more about this story than anyone else; more than I have written above. People leave forums for all kinds of reasons, ranging from understandable (like death; more common that you might think) to downright childish (very common indeed). In most cases the real reason is quite different to what the forum regulars think, or have been told.

As I said, there is simply no more reason for us to link one GA product on the home page than any other GA product, when there is no current “association” between EuroGA and any of them. It would of course be nice if people did visit their favourite URLs via our home page but obviously we can’t do that comprehensively, and if we do it for one product then why not one of their competitors? This is just common sense; we didn’t come under any pressure from anybody.

Taking the wider picture, social media participation is key to getting a product known nowadays, since the internet has pretty well killed the printed media (except in (a) niche/traditional areas and (b) where the advertisers are too lazy to work out where their business is coming from) and people’s attention span is flooded with stuff, mostly junk. And if you want to do it, you have to do it well. If you sell a piece of software (even if it is free to a section of users) then you need to participate (usefully and politely) in social media that’s applicable to that product. If you install avionics (another good “EuroGA case” from not long ago) and you want to generate business via the internet then again you need to participate (usefully and politely) in social media on which your potential customers hang out.

And life is a two-way street.

Administrator

Autorouter and cookies

I have Firefox on a laptop and get the following message when going to autorouter.aero

Your browser blocks access to cookies. The application cannot operate. Please enable access to browser cookies and reload.

However they are enabled

In Chrome, the site works ok on the same machine.

Is anyone using AR with Firefox?

Administrator

I do. Just checked, everything works.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Interesting. FF on another machine does the same for me. Latest version of FF on win7-64.

Administrator

Do you get anything if you type this in the browser window while on autorouter’s website?

javascript:window.alert(document.cookie);

I get a PHP session variable, in Firefox, which means cookies are set and working.

PS: Copy pasting this string will not work, Firefox will delete the “javascript:” part upon paste for security reason, make sure to type it in manually.

Last Edited by Dimme at 21 Mar 09:21
ESME, ESMS

How to transfer a route from Autorouter to Skydemon or EasyVFR

Can anyone tell me how to download a route into SkyDemon.
Thank you

Nothing happens. When I go to autorouter.aero I immediately get this

although in the bottom left corner it says

I have tried the site on another machine and on that it works, FF 52.7.2 (32-bit). The non-working ones were both FF 48.0.2 even though it was configured to auto-update!

Now the updated FF works OK…

Thank you

Administrator

Does SD have an IFR (airway) chart representation, and can it accept an airway based route and plot it? I suggested it (among much else) to SD in their early days, but the owner replied with something like “who flies IFR?”.

In AR, under Briefing Information, you will find an SD option. That generates a report which contains a long list of lat/long coordinates e.g.

but contains no waypoint names. So this may be rather useless, because in IFR you need to be conscious of the waypoints in order to talk to ATC etc.

I use an old Jepp Flitestar for this. I paste the ex-AR route into it and generate a one-page route image which has the waypoint names. I would imagine modern IFR programs like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot would do this properly.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message