Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in the empty skies / getting back in the air during/after the corona shutdown

LeSving wrote:

The corona virus is airborne

This deserves at least three smiles

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Shooting some approaches at Pula LDPL just after ILS calibration.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Went flying today. Lots of UL activity. Before me at the pump, the “fire services” aircraft, a C210, was refueling, they have been active a lot lately to monitor the area for forest fires. It hasn’t rained for weeks here!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

It hasn’t rained for weeks here!

Here’s almost the same – we had only one rainy day in 4 weeks… we’ve already had few forest fires.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I am very tempted to do a long flight somewhere, over the Alps.

It is not illegal to do that from the UK perspective and flying out of Shoreham directly out over the water would meet the principal unstated UK CAA objective that a large number of “locked down” people don’t see a light aircraft flying. The UK GA chat site FR24 watchers will still take you apart, but who cares?

The other end is a challenge. For example Croatia would not let you off airside, and anyway hotels are closed, so after refuelling you would have to spend the night airside in a tent

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sounds like a suitable challenge. My wife and I are planning a mini-version of that on Sunday – a flight somewhere with a picnic basket to eat on a piece of grass at the far end. Then fly home.

I spoke with the local airport manager this morning. He said that in Canada he’s not aware of any actual restriction against GA flying, it’s just that from a workplace standpoint, dual flight instruction is not being conducted. He said his airport, usually 300 movements a day, has had as many as 100 a day during nice weather recently. I suppose it’s all solo flying.

I did fly a parts run to an airport with an aviation college this morning. The college was all closed up, though one of their Baron’s arrived after I landed, so I guess something was happening.

Then I was called by the Fire Chief to fly fire patrol over a forest fire, and direct the ground crew, so I did a few hours of that. The skies are certainly quieter around here, but not because of aviation regulation.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I understand that in my US area a few of the mainly email based clubs, principally the ‘antiquers’ in biplanes etc are planning a formation flight around the area as a tribute to front line medical personnel. Yes, it’s a completely shameless way to solicit public favor while doing something fun

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Apr 01:33

The CAT industry will for sure face a very bad few years, some say it won’t never fully recover.
Main carriers are being supported by governments with “green” requirements pushed by the green lobby.

Could we imagine here what would happen if air transport became a bit more scarce (like no more alcohol city break for 40€) ?

What would it imply for airports/regulations/fuel prices and GA ?

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

What would it imply for airports/regulations/fuel prices and GA ?

Probably a lot of airports will shut down its commercial side. That may or may not leave the airport for GA use.

It will probably not affect AVGAS prices or availability much as it is very rarely used by commercial traffic and its production is independent of JET A1 production.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message