Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in the empty skies / getting back in the air during/after the corona shutdown

My neighborhood in Zagreb a lake I run around almost every day

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Much of the UK is loving it; 80% of your salary and you have all day to muck about

However, the 80% of salary is capped to a maximum of £24K/annum. There are many people who earned significantly more and have mortgages based on these higher salaries for whom the 80% doesn’t go anywhere near covering their overheads.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

There are many people who earned significantly more and have mortgages based on these higher salaries for whom the 80% doesn’t go anywhere near covering their overheads

With pretty much every bank offering payment holidays and landlords being unable to take action on defaulting renters anytime soon, they should also be fine for a few months – until it turns out that for some, there will be no job to go back to, that is.

Biggin Hill

Emir wrote:

My neighborhood in Zagreb a lake I run around almost every day

I think we had enough of “Zagreb flying/run pictures”, what about Sardinia ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 May 16:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

what about Sardinia?

Olbia offers free landing during one week after reopening, it looks like good destination

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

wigglyamp wrote:

However, the 80% of salary is capped to a maximum of £24K/annum. There are many people who earned significantly more and have mortgages based on these higher salaries for whom the 80% doesn’t go anywhere near covering their overheads.

Cobalt wrote:

With pretty much every bank offering payment holidays and landlords being unable to take action on defaulting renters anytime soon, they should also be fine for a few months – until it turns out that for some, there will be no job to go back to, that is.

I was worried about this sort of thing here in the US, fearing people being cash strapped and having a $2800/month rental property to lease. The first day it was advertised I got 18 enquiries, so I selected the best of them for showings and had it leased the same day to a couple in their 20s who paid rent until July 1st in advance, plus security deposit, for a total of a bit over $7K. My coffers are now partially replenished after the frantic five week remodel effort – which I paid for out of cash reserve. So much for the whole world living beyond their means and the desperate need for the government to squirt taxpayers cash into the economy.

On topic, despite the roads here now being full of traffic I’m still wary of being out on a motorcycle on the weekends. I haven’t heard of anybody being questioned but it would regardless be hard to justify that my wife and I are on the way to our ‘essential jobs’ or ‘essential shopping’ as we are in cars during the week – typically we’d be in racing leathers. So with motorcycling on hold we are instead taking an out and back flight every weekend, and my flying currency is actually benefiting relative to the past year during which I had more distractions from flying.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 May 04:06

I haven’t heard of anybody being questioned but it would regardless be hard to justify that my wife and I are on the way to our ‘essential jobs’ or ‘essential shopping’ as we are in cars during the week – typically we’d be in racing leathers

The minister of health (here in Norway) was question what exactly is meant by “essential travelling”. His answer was that this is easy to understand, everybody knows what is meant by this. He didn’t want to say any more about it.

If you think about it, it really is easy, and only each individual can answer that question regarding what is essential for himself. The point is only to reduce travelling, not to stop it, or regulate it in detail.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In my area there is a memo describing essential industries in detail, and ‘commercial and recreational aviation’ is listed. It is in any case overcome by events, the travel restrictions are being completely ignored. People are not stupid, and certainly in the US many are comfortable and accustomed to managing their own risk where the penalties for mismanagement may be severe. Anybody with a measurable IQ realizes that the issue is avoiding contact with others who may be infected, not travel (whether essential or not), and the correlation between the two is weak.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 May 15:00

LeSving wrote:

The minister of health (here in Norway) was question what exactly is meant by “essential travelling”. His answer was that this is easy to understand, everybody knows what is meant by this. He didn’t want to say any more about it.

If you think about it, it really is easy, and only each individual can answer that question regarding what is essential for himself. The point is only to reduce travelling, not to stop it, or regulate it in detail.

This is correct. One does not need a formal definition that is legally binding on all. If everyone understands the request, interprets it their own way and applies that to themselves then the goal (much-reduced mingling) is achieved.

EGLM & EGTN

Instructing (practical in an aircraft) can now be done again starting monday 11.

But it’s not yet clear to me if this is only ATOs or also includes microlights and schools operated by clubs ??? Some more info is bound to come very soon I hope.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message