Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

More quirks of French IFR - NIMBY waypoints

@Emir that looks like a typical noise abatement procedure flown on an FMS with the autopilot. The LFMD procedure in the AIP has waypoints but not sure if flown on an FMS? It does show a motorway which helps define the race track from downwind to final, which seems to be a race track turn and not a turn on base?

In both scenarios I would suggest the crew would be eyes out, although in the first case a multi crew with a pilot monitoring the autopilot.

Typically these noise abatement visual routes that are loaded on the FMS have to be flown on autopilot.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

As to NIMBY – surprises: the Munich experience
The neighbours found out that a 24/7 used BMW test drive center is a bit more than they expected ;-)

Or – at a different location. a planned commercial center with trucks going in and out 24/7 was so concerning that an airport clisure is reconsidered – a few GAs dont caise so many inconveniences…

People will realize too late that there are plenty of other nuisances ;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 19 Aug 16:36
EDM_, Germany

The Nimby’s buy the property at a discount because of the airfield
They then try to shut it down due to noise and then they sell the property for a profit before the developers move in.
Anecdotally, many of the complainers are ex airline pilots.
Logically providing the noise is not excessive and that could be shown by an aircraft’s noise certificate they should have little to complain about. The problem is that some mayors have their own agenda and complaints help that. Eg Fréjus. However, the FFA and the DGAC/DSAC are much wiser to these agendas now and know how to mobilise the local populatio, than they were back then. EG Poitiers LFBI.

France

I discovered the web site of the nimbies: https://www.adna06.fr/pmaps.php

A lot of people have no life, absolutely zilch, zero, nowt.

But if you look at the general problems on social media, are you surprised?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello JohnH, what a funny topic.
I did exactly the same as you John, 2 years ago with a PA28 just after doing it with the CJ1, I turned too franckly, eat 5 meters into the blue circle of La Roquette and got an email.
The rule is a very calm turn on a.single prop, keeping in sight the long final. Local jet pilot also enlarge the trajectory a bit to the west of the runway axe to avoid noise over the crazy people…
DGAC doesn’t want to get a coin into this machine, it is getting so difficult with the pressure group of every village around.
They have proposed a north approach (RNP AR) 3 year ago that have been then dismissed because it was impacting some village near Grasse, a funny battle between people of the north (Grasse area) and from the vicinity (La Roquette/La Bocca).
I also proposed to improve the VPT, the simplest here is to follow the motorway until the big right turn when you just have to intercept the long Final… So easy to follow (like in La Rochelle), the plane noise stays over the big road;, but no one want to change anything here.`
Just don’t pay attention at the ADNA, this is full of old people that spend their time filing complaints (10000 in 2019, by only 100 people). Some times ago I subscribed to their facebook group and was playing with them.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 19 Aug 21:37
LFMD, France

@Emir that looks like a typical noise abatement procedure flown on an FMS with the autopilot.

No, it’s not about noise abatement. This is the only way to land RW23 without hitting the mountain.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think greg_mp is writing about the VPT for Rwy17 @ Cannes LFMD.

France

gallois wrote:

I think greg_mp is writing about the VPT for Rwy17 @ Cannes LFMD.

I’m note sure because LFMD procedure can’t be entered to FMS database due to lack of coordinates for points A and B. OTOH LDSP procedure is exactly of the type that could be entered to FMS database.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

As I get older I find I get confused more readily. :)

France

As every one does for the VPT in Cannes, is adding LUXUS and PIBON points after the GA procedure of the FMS then do direct if you want to do it with the autopilot. Once you have done it a first time, you know what these points are, but you will never find point A and B indeed. But for point A you can take the big RoundAbout in the penetrante Cannes-Grasse at Mouans Sartoux (at about 1600ft) and gently turn to the final while intercepting the PAPI over the green area.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message