Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Take-off at EDMS today ...

Which flight inspection is lacked? That’s just an RNAV approach. NOTAM end in March 14 so 3 month no inbound IFR – unbelievable!

EDXQ

Which flight inspection is lacked?

Every instrument approach, even GPS based ones, has to be calibrated (= test flown by calibration aircraft) in fixed intervals – five years in case of GPS approaches. Obvoiusly, someone forgot to book the calibrators in time and this date in March is the first free slot in their schedule. My guess – maybe there is another reason like a new transmitting facility in the vicinity that must be tested for electromagnetic compatibility. This is the company that performs the calibration flights in Germany: http://www.flightcalibration.de/en/ .

EDDS - Stuttgart

Good morning, all

Peter,
Germany is not exactly as bad as you think :-)
I talked to the guys in the tower and to the geeral manager, and what they told me was that they had no problem if I took off. It is really the responsibility of the pilot and HE decides if the VFR criteria are met or not. And as long as the airport is VFR operation only they will not interfere.

I agree with all other things your wrote. I have a ery capable TCAS system too on the MFD and as you said it is really completely unlikely somebody else coukld be in that fog layer. Actually there really CANNOT be anybody in there legally.

About the IFR operations at EDMS, I talked about that with Mr. Mai, the manager. He told me that they were about to get an official LNAV approach besides the GPS stepdown approach they already have. The DFS has to make calibration flights, and for THAT NEW APPROACH only – but they could not due to bad weather (the calibration flights have to be done in VMC). So they not only delayad the introduction of the new approach but suspended the complete IFR operation at EDMS by NOTAM until March. The airport asked the DFS about it and they confirmed that the only calibration flight necessary is for the new approach. Now the airport is fighting with the DFS, because this is really costing them a lot of money. And don’t ask what Avionik Straubing and Mühlbauer Propeller think about this …

I think that’s oe of the big advantages of the Cirrus, an IFR departure into clouds (and I mean the “legal” ones) is simply less risky. Once you have made it to 500 ft AGL you’re relatively safe. IFR departures like this are actually the only flights where I take the cover off the CAPS handle… with an engne failure at 550 feet you don’t really have time …

Five minutes after take-off. EDMS is in the upper left corner of the image

I also learned that the DFS does not only calibrate the new approach for their charts and so on – but that they regularly check Jeppesen’s databases for mistakes.

So much for my January trip then if no approaches

EGTK Oxford

I talked to the guys in the tower and to the geeral manager, and what they told me was that they had no problem if I took off. It is really the responsibility of the pilot and HE decides if the VFR criteria are met or not. And as long as the airport is VFR operation only they will not interfere.

Try that in other places and it will look completely different. A colleague of mine was dragged before court (and convicted and fined) by the radio operator of EDRY because of a similar “YFR” departure there.

I have a ery capable TCAS system too…

That only works if the other aircraft have their transponders (mode C minimum) on. I know quite a lot of “pilots” (dangerous ignorant idiots would be a more accurate designation) who switch their transponder off when doing illegal things like flying into clouds on VFR flights…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Try that in other places and it will look completely different. A colleague of mine was dragged before court (and convicted and fined) by the radio operator of EDRY because of a similar “YFR” departure there.

And went to FFB for the mind checkup? Or lost his license?

I know a few of these guys who switch their xpdrs off in those situations and I agree with you.

alexisvc, I won’t post pics of these departures or tell stories. Just do it on your own discretion or do it not.

Last Edited by Muelli at 18 Dec 10:05
EDXQ

Well, I wonder how anybody will prove that it wasn’t VMC for a couple of minutes when I took off.

That only works if the other aircraft have their transponders (mode C minimum) on. I know quite a lot of “pilots” (dangerous ignorant idiots would be a more accurate designation) who switch their transponder off when doing illegal things like flying into clouds on VFR flights…

Of course – in THEORY. But in theory you could meet that same guy if you were on a IFR flight plan. And really – far form the next airport, and in the country side, nobody will fly 100-500 ft AGL in the fog if it’s sunny 300 feet higher. And if anybody did that he will do the same if you made an IFR departure, right? Look what’s done in the UK!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Dec 10:26

Muelli,

I posted a picture of clouds from 3000 feet above. What’s the problem?
Of course I didn’t take off in the fog! I waited until it was clear for some minutes :-) There was a big hole, you only can’t see it in this picture!!

I only asked WHAT YOU WOULD do!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Dec 10:11
Sign in to add your message