Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

By the way, on using one’s FAA license for getting airside, a nice little anecdote from a friend of mine who told me what allegedly happened to a friend of his…

He went to the airport / security stuff who asked for his license in order to admit him airside. He pulled out his FAA license and handed it to him (note, for who doesn’t know: FAA licenses have a faint picture of the counterfeits of Wilbur and Orville Wright on them).

He looked sharply at the license, back at the pilot and then said, in all seriousness: “nah, your face does not resemble either of these two here!”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 May 13:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I have been running around with just my (no longer valid!) credit card FAA license

I assume by “no longer valid” you mean you are no longer current to exercise the certificate privileges, i.e. no valid medical or no flight review within last 24mo, correct? The FAA certificate itself is valid for life and never expires, unless it has been revoked for some reason by the FAA.

Last Edited by chflyer at 10 May 13:28
LSZK, Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

all seriousness: “nah, your face does not resemble either of these two here!”.

Had worse getting into a pub in 2011 in South Carolina, the doorman said no based on my ID card (date of issue in one side 2008, date of birth on other side 1987)
Asked why? he said born after 1990, for a second he really meant I am 3 year old

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So, to clarify, some countries are looking for a journey log?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. If you fly to say Germany, and you get into a full pilot/aircraft doc check, they will likely ask for it.
They want to check it is there, and sometimes they want to check if you keep it up to date (i.e. entries have to be made on the day)

chflyer wrote:

I assume by “no longer valid” you mean you are no longer current to exercise the certificate privileges, i.e. no valid medical or no flight review within last 24mo, correct? The FAA certificate itself is valid for life and never expires, unless it has been revoked for some reason by the FAA.

No. If the license number on the FAA picky back license no longer matches your actual underlying license’s number, then that piece of plastic is no longer a valid license.

Of course I do know that generally, FAA licenses don’t expire. BTW, even EASA licenses don’t expire.

Never have been asked for a journey log by the airport officials, but the examiners ask for it every time I revalidate my ratings.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

By itself, this does not make sense though, because the journey log refers to an aircraft and not to your personal ratings.

What they possibly wanted to is cross-check things, i.e. see if the flights that you have in your pilot‘s logbook are found in the respective aircraft log book (in other words, if the logbook entries were forged). That is very thorough and wary examiner though…

Peter wrote:

Just as an update to this old saga: has anyone been asked to show a journey log to any airport official?

Croatian CAA asked for aircraft journey log during the ramp check. And airport officials asked for different papers (insurance policy, ARC, noise certificate etc.) but never for journey log.

Last Edited by Emir at 10 May 16:35
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I can’t see any legal value in a journey log where the same (sole) person fills in both the log and the pilot logbooks

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message