Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying videos thread

Interesting video Peter. I wonder how different that first part being stuck under the London TMA would have been if you cracked and bought that TBM700 or even something like the Mustang. Looking at flightradar24 the problem is pretty obvious, the Gatwick arrivals from the continent are coming across the coast near Hastings at somewhere around 8000ft. I guess you’d need something you’d be comfortable going more or less direct DPE. That way you’d be going in the same direction as the big stuff going towards the continent.

One can go to DPE or to the south generally; that’s no problem. Actually on such a route I am often out of UK airspace (or nearly so) by the time London Control get around to giving me the IFR clearance

The issue, as on the video, is if you are going more or less east.

Having said that, I’d say 9 times out of 10 I do get a climb into CAS, to say FL100, around SFD. On that one occassion there was some low level traffic.

By the time one is abeam DVR most of the jets are nearer to FL200.

One could have flown to LDLO via DPE (and gone via France, east of Paris) and in fact that’s how I came back. I like that route marginally less because it has much more water, and if I can reduce that risk at nil cost, why not?

The funny thing about these flying videos is that you can right away cut out all of Belgium, NL, most of Germany, the top 2/3 of France

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is another video, Shoreham to Guernsey, with dynamic subtitles showing longitude, latitude and altitude. I can’t get speed currently although there are other GPS apps which do record that e.g. PocketFMS. The conversion from the GPS log to the SRT subtitle format was done with a custom program (2hrs in C++).

Administrator

Great video really well put together and I know a lot of work has gone into that.

Here is one from the flight to Scotland with my friend Dublinpilot, 1 week ago. Low cloudbase (mostly 1000ft or so) but still great scenery. 4.5 airborne hours edited down to 57 mins… I should have shaved off a bit more here and there…

Administrator

Fantastic. I wish I had more confidence in my practical skills to mount an external camera & long life battery setup. And possibly better knowledge of the regs… Did you mention that it’s easier with you being N-reg?

The only advantage of internal cameras is being able to view the raw terror on my pax’s faces during landings.

Beautiful video. I think it wouldn’t be as good without the cloud.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I tried to use the camera for flight training, to help my student follow-up on the lesson and to help me to improve my instructing. Here is a bit of training prior performing some crosswind landings:

It is very “raw”. Any tipps welcome.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think it wouldn’t be as good without the cloud.

I think so too. Too much contrast and some scenery would be washed-out.

I have just edited a 10 mins shorter version, with more music, and will upload that at some point. These videos are just under my 5GB max Vimeo upload size…

@mh I can’t speak for the training aspect but if you want to show the outside as well as the instrument panel, that is hard to do. The contrast is too great unless one puts a bit of work into it. Also you get a much better sound track if you connect the recorder directly into the intercom (audio panel).

Administrator

I did a better (shorter) version here, with a bit more music

Next time I will try to add a moving map insert.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message