Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

Does the app work and what’s the top speed? I ask because apparently there are some fakes with no app functionality and a top speed of only 25 as opposed to the published 30 (or 29). Also with a dicky steering column lock(!).

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Have occasional bother with the Segway app but the MiHome app works fine. I have no way of checking the top speed as steering is a 2 handed operation but it seems fast bordering on scary at times so I guess it is 30. You can flash it with different firmware that will give you even higher top speed and better hill climbing speeds.

EIMH, Ireland

Sounds like a real one!

jgmusic

Bought mine from geekmaxi.
Came in a week. Nothing to pay left.
Was slightly cheaper than zuutroy’s.
Yes, heavier and slighly larger than the HEGG.
But better wheels with airtires (incl 2 spares in the box)
Faster and higher endurance.
Neat folding trick to carry well.
Rigid and robust.

And fits the baggage compartment of a TB !
No prob for a longer ride.

What on earth would you need an app for ???
Get on and go ?

Last Edited by ch.ess at 25 May 17:35
EDM_, Germany

The app provides firmware updates and faster speeds apparently? It can be sluggish on acceleration and small inclines.

jgmusic

Not GA, but I just went to NYC with British Arways, and took my brompton there and back as carry on (hand luggage) and had no issues whatsoever. Fits on the 787 (almost seemed tight on the central overhead bin) and on the A318 (weirdwly, seemed more roomy).

It’s so great to have a bike on site (and NYC is so much better for cycling that London, despite the 3rd world quality of pavement).

Can’t wait to solve the insurance insues and fly there with the DA42 with the bike in the back (might be a chance to get a bit of cycling done in greeland too!)

2 Bikes into the back of a DA42

1 Road (Specialized Roubaix)
1 Foldable (previously featured on this thread)

The road bike only needs the front wheel off, not even retract the saddle.

See my post #18 above: 29-Jul-13.
The facts, and my views, haven’t changed.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Are there any concerns / considerations in regards to high altitude non-pressurized flights with electric scooters / bikes in the back which consist of sizable batteries not necessarily tested for such conditions?

EGSX

Don’t know how often a Brompton has been mentioned in this thread. With 6 gears, it is a fully usable bike. Unlimited range, comfortable ride for any size and weight, more versatile, less maintenance than an electrical bike. The only occasion when I didn’t want to use the bike after landing was when I was sick. Fits really anywhere, 35 sec folding/unfolding time.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
Sign in to add your message