Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

Been toying with buying a Boosted Board for a while. Certainly don’t get the feeling they need much existing skateboard skills.

EIMH, Ireland

One should look at Britain folding bikes: Brompton.
Marvelous gear.

I have a Czech Agogs Barack folding e-bike – not much bigger than Brompton for a fraction of Brompton’s price. The latest model year claims a range up to 110 km on a single charge, mine is about 5 years old and gives me something like 55 km on a battery of the same age.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have got a M365 from Gearbest via DPD UK with no import taxes to LR country. Nice to zoom through the city with it, would have problems on rough roads though. It is very portable, light, I can see it in the plane if the length, folded, allows.

Pay attention that, sadly, these are not allowed on public roads in some countries, UK being one of these. I suppose the ridiculous situation will change at some time.

Last Edited by byteworks at 28 Apr 05:41
LRSV, Romania

Nothing bulky, big or ugly about an ebike here. The legalities currently forbid scooters and powered skateboards. Small tires and uneven pavements don‘t go together. I take my bike to the airport, fold, stow, fly and have visited clients in a 20km radius around the airport. Beyond that I usually find a rental car.

EDLN and EDKB

The xiaomi might be good, i will test one next week.

What is not much use are the scooters with the batteries in the front. I have an “all carbon” one weighing only 7kg and folding neatly (incl removable handles.

Fine when its flat and even (18km/h, maybe 10km @ 75kg), but getting less useful on bad surface and useless on 10% incline or more.
With full batteries it moves upwards with7km/h in power mode, and with less then a third left in battery it wont move further.

They sell under different brandnames, possibly all from the same Chinese factory. Very handy, limited use for what we want them for, apparently better <60kg ;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 28 Apr 07:13
EDM_, Germany

I used to have a Montague Paratrooper bike and Montague Swiss bike both with electric upgrades, was a bit expensive buy in the tousands but saved me the cost of a car for 5 years and they can go any field and can carry in london undergroud (range 100 miles, speed 25 mph and weight 2*18kg)

However, it was a nightmare to fit both in a C172/PA28, so I rarely used them for GA but I used them a lot when going via CAT (only Ryanair will charge you for a fully disassembled/folded bike inside its own bag), so I sold them to the next guy.

Now I am looking for something light that goes well with GA trips and seems a foldable scooter is next (assuming use on pavement), any suggestion for something that can do 10miles/10kg for less than 300punds ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Okay, what do you think about these? Lightweighted, do need nearly no extra space in the luggage compartment and you can easily carry four pairs of them if you have four people on the plane.

EDDS , Germany

I think this would make a lot of these devices more dangerous than flying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@mrfacts what bike is this?

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message