Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

LeSving wrote:

Russian Sputnik vaccine?

This little Bad Boy. I wonder why the EU are telling folks it is dangerous. Watch out, another CONSPIRACY theory on its way.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-hungary-idUSKBN27Z1H4

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

Opinion is fine, but don’t post it here, because it is hugely irresponsible to use supposedly respectable channels to spread anti vacc stuff.

We are very touchy on this Peter. Where did I mention anti vaxxer? If I remember rightly you removed a post of mine previously because you, wrongly, assumed it referred to Anti Vaxxer?

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am not an Anti Vaxxer, but I will not put something into my body with a month or so of trials and being told by the WHO It will be Alright on the Night.

EGPF Glasgow

It was probably moved to the OT thread. Check your own posts. Deletion is rare; only really rude stuff / clearly intentional personal attacks get deleted.

Of course if there us bad publicity on the Russian vaccine that will feed the anti vaxxers everywhere. So nobody has an interest in Russians getting problems.

You and I aren’t likely to get a vaccine until many millions around the world have already had it – due to the priority ladder.

The WHO is mostly a waste of space; not really relevant to internal processes in a 1st World country.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Deletion is rare; only really rude stuff / clearly intentional personal attacks get deleted.

Thank you because I would never do that. Happy to wind folks up on the odd occasion but not rude or personal.

The Russian position is interesting and obviously the EU MEP’s have already lined their pockets with commissions that are flowing. Are the Cayman Islands still open for business? All you will require is your Health passport, your temperature log, your biometric chip, and of course your GVI bought with your commissions.

Can’t have the pesky Russians altering any of that can we?

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 20 Nov 17:24
EGPF Glasgow

Here’s an interesting link about how the virus may evolve to be either less or more virulent.

This may have been part of the reason there was so much concern regarding the outbreak on mink farms. In such conditions you might expect the virus to evolve to become more virulent, though whether it would have retained its infectiousness towards humans is another question..

@BeechBaby

I’m afraid your knowledge of clinical trials is clearly lacking.

It’s not duration (although it’s far longer than a month), it’s number of subjects tested.

The Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine has already been tested on far more people than the average drug has been at the point of regulatory approval.

The major challenge of vaccine research is you need a phenomenally large sample size to get statistically significant efficacy data – because you generally cannot deliberately infect subjects.

This has an upside, in that with a large sample size comes excellent (far better than you need) safety data.

EGLM & EGTN

BeechBaby wrote:

This little Bad Boy. I wonder why the EU are telling folks it is dangerous

For the exact same reason others are reluctant to take any vaccine, be it corona or something else. The differences are in shades of gray.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think there is a fair point to be made that recent clinical trials can only show up side effects that emerge in the short term.

My only personal requirement from a vaccine is simply that taking it be safer than getting COVID, which is a reasonably low bar. Given the likelihood of becoming infected sooner or later, I will be taking whatever they offer me, though my preference would be for something reasonably conventional.

AstraZeneca’s vaccine seems to be an order of magnitude cheaper than the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Given that the Russian vaccine was made available so much sooner than every other vaccine, it seems reasonable to conclude that corners have been cut in its testing.

Last Edited by kwlf at 20 Nov 18:04

Graham wrote:

I’m afraid your knowledge of clinical trials is clearly lacking.

Of course it is….silly moi

EGPF Glasgow

Graham wrote:

The Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine has already been tested on far more people than the average drug has been at the point of regulatory approval.

Have they found a cure for the common cold then?

EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message