Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

lionel wrote:

No, it says you don’t have to give the information if you don’t already have it. Which I understand that, if you have it, you must give it, except on yourself. So e.g. if your wife or child is with you, I would find it difficult to say that you don’t have their information… so you must give the info.

Anyone that I know, always gave all details of all passengers on board. There was nothing on the GAR instructions to say that you didn’t need to give them for those.

While you are correct about having to given the details if you have them, I disagree with your assertation that you’d have to give your wife or child’s details. They might be very easy to get, but that doesn’t mean they are in your possession. I have no idea what my wife’s passport details are. It would be trivial of me to ask her for them, but I don’t have them. Therefore I am not required to give them. Likewise in many families, one parent will look after the children’s details. That doesn’t mean the other person has them.

But that is really besides the point. For most of us, before a flight in or out of the UK, we have been chasing passengers passport details in order to file the GAR. Apparently that wasn’t necessary at all.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Where is this extract from please?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-v-visitor

Specifically the ‘Genuine Visitor Requirement’ V4.2

Biggin Hill

According to the CAA, “to continue operating EU-registered aircraft, you could seek a licence validation from any EASA Competent Authority, which would be valid for aircraft registered in any EASA member state.”

Anyone know which Authority is easiest for this?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

If I remember correctly (from a few years ago when they was talk of forcing FAA pilots to get EASA licences), you could only get a validation for 1 year, and a second year if you’d started a course towards gaining an EASA licence. Is that still the case?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I would assume not given the UK-EU trade deal talks about cooperation, but it’s very unclear

The big question is whether there will be grandfather rights in getting a SOLI change from tomorrow

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

But that is really besides the point. For most of us, before a flight in or out of the UK, we have been chasing passengers passport details in order to file the GAR. Apparently that wasn’t necessary at all.

I agree, not least because in the case of a private flight the aircraft owner doesn’t necessarily know for sure who will travel. Note that the obligation to provide details is on the owner, not the commander of the aircraft.

It’s actually the same with the intra-CTA GAR. There’s no obligation to provide passenger information in advance.

However, failure to volunteer this additional information may create extra work for public servants paid by all of us. They may even feel obliged to travel to meet the inbound aircraft, wasting much time and money. So it’s probably public-spirited for the owner to fill in and submit the standard form to the best of his ability.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

Cobalt
31-Dec-20 13:38

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Where is this extract from please?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-v-visitor

Specifically the ‘Genuine Visitor Requirement’ V4.2

Thank you, Cobalt. I had wrongly assumed this was UK to Europe, it would seem we are more generous than they.

Charlie wrote:

Anyone know which Authority is easiest for this?

I’m not 100% sure if you’re looking for a SOLI or a validation, but for SOLI Austro Control were extremely quick and helpful when I did mine two or three years ago. From what I’ve heard most UK pilots who did a SOLI change either went there or to the IAA.

Validations typically only cover rather short periods (I’ve had a few in my flying life), although that used to vary from country to country and all that was pre-EASA.

you could only get a validation for 1 year, and a second year if you’d started a course towards gaining an EASA licence. Is that still the case?

FWIW, I have not heard of this disappearing in general, but it did end for commercial pilots quite a while ago. We did have a thread on this but I can’t find it. It affected very few people here and would have been of use to even fewer, I think. IIRC, all the validation option did was to delay the sitting of the 14 ATPL exams. @bookworm will know, or others.

I think the ICAO IR to CBIR route would have rendered the validation route worthless. And ICAO ATP holders with specific experience (IIRC, 2k hrs in a Part 25 aircraft) can convert anyway.

Actually this came up in the last zoom video session. If there is a delay or some other problem with SOLI then why not just do one of the conversion routes? A UK PPL or IR will be just like any ICAO PPL or IR.

And I reckon UK CPL/IRs will get some mutual validation anyway. They have it currently as an interim measure to keep airliners flying, and I reckon most of the “screw the UK project” will eventually get kicked into the long grass, on all the fronts which are below the political horizon. It’s already starting to happen with EGNOS.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the “screw the UK project”

You talk about that a lot but I don’t really understand what you mean. Obviously if you leave a club, you lose the benefits of being a member of the club. I find that neither strange nor unexpected nor indeed lacking in generosity. Any exceptions (including mutual license validation) will have to be negotiated.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message