Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

See posts above. Nobody currently knows.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I guess that means it IS a possibility. Oh dear….

Old dog learning new tricks

Christopher wrote:

So I guess that means it IS a possibility. Oh dear….

that is a real worry indeed…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

These are worst case scenarios, and are very unlikely.

The key point here is that a G-reg plane in this situation (flown on non UK papers) is likely to attract about as much attention as an N-reg, which can be potentially flown on FAA papers (good for worldwide) or non-FAA papers (good only in the country which issued them – ref FAR 61.3). BUT you will be very hard pressed to find an airport policeman who can identify your aircraft type (well, every aircraft is a Cessna, isn’t it?) let alone work out these subtleties! Last “interview” I had was at Poitiers where the two officers asked me why I was N-reg and about 2 mins into my detailed explanation their eyes glazed over… a problem Justine (my GF) is familiar with

That said, one could get some strange local reactions. The human race contains some % of dicks and nothing stops one of these who got off the wrong side of the bed deciding to harrass a few customers at the airport, and with some 99% of Europe mainland residents being pretty unhappy about what the UK has done, you have the recipe for some “additional vigilance”. There are some (obviously unproved) indications that some aspects of US foreign policy, predictably unpopular in some spots of mainland Europe, have resulted in harrassment of N-regs, over the years. Many wealthy individuals have stated that they prefer M-reg over N-reg for their bizjets because they can fly more comfortably to some 3rd world countries where US foreign policy is especially controversial. Now, Europe is not Somalia but for example since the brexit vote my little electronics business has seen a huge increase in mainland customers asking for CE / ROHS / REACH / etc declarations. (e.g. ROHS is to do with the use of lead-free solder, and about 200 other substances which nobody can even spell, let alone be actually using). It seems pretty obvious that the brexit publicity in mainland media has made some people think that UK companies will now be cheating on these standards.

So it is not impossible that there may be increased vigilance – in the case of a “totally no deal of any sort” brexit.

There is often sporadic vigilance in aviation. I was in Mali Losinj some weeks ago and was told that the Croatian CAA just happened to be going around doing spot checks on GA… One would expect such inspections to focus on G-regs post-“no deal brexit”, in the same way in which they have (occassionally overwhelmingly obviously) focused on N-regs in the distant past (Biarritz, anyone?).

BUT this will not be the biggest issue, because airlines will have their rosters massively disrupted, possibly de facto grounded, because all the airline pilots with UK issued CPL/IRs will not be able to fly anything other than a G-reg Oh and Rolls Royce jet engines will, according to press reports, become unairworthy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Christopher wrote:

Let’s say the pilot/owner has a non-UK EASA PPL(A) (because that happens to be the case ) – what then?

Probably nothing, because the UK CAA will probably have validated your non-UK EASA licence, possibly on an automatic basis.

Q:Is it easy to switch your UK issued EASA PPL to a EU state issued EASA PPL?

Worst case: same process as converting or validating any ICAO PPL.

And easier in the worst case if you do it before Brexit :)

ELLX

Personally, I’m going to wait to know what happens. If UK gets out of EASA, then I’ll probably just want to have 2 licences, one EASA (I sometimes rent in france / portugal) AND one UK.
Hopefully none of that is needed though, 2 licences (EASA-UK + FAA) is plenty

Last Edited by Noe at 27 Sep 19:22

Noe wrote:

If UK gets out of EASA, then I’ll probably just want to have 2 licences, one EASA (I sometimes rent in france / portugal) AND one UK.

By this presumably you mean an old-style stand-alone CAA-PPL and also an EASA-PPL from either France or Portugal?

skydriller wrote:

By this presumably you mean an old-style stand-alone CAA-PPL and also an EASA-PPL from either France or Portugal?

Yes

skydriller wrote:

old-style stand-alone CAA-PPL

At the moment UK CAA is not issuing any new version of these but I think “UK issued EASA PPL” will be equivalent/automatically validated/manually validated (pick which one you like) by CAA as an ICAO UK PPL

The new versions of ICAO UK PPL are not necessarily brown they will look like new NPPLs (otherwise CAA have to buy old printers/papers), this may disappoint some people, after all this is what Brexit is about: a preference on color of licence against its privileges

Personally, starting with a LAPL I end up with a UK NPPL & EASA PPL & FAA 61.75, still not sure how far this goes…I already have a lot of difficulties explaining to someone new to aviation what licence they can have

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@skydriller

If you have a CAA PPL can you fly any G-reg aeroplane?

Yes if you mean a Part-FCL PPL. Otherwise, a UK PPL like any non-UK ICAO Annex 1-compliant or Overseas Territory PPL may be used for UK-registered non-EASA (and non-excepted) aircraft. Under General Exemption E 4707 notified in ORS4 No. 1269 of 29 May 2018 valid until 7 Apr 2019 or earlier, it may be used for UK-registered EASA (and excepted) aircraft at the LAPL privilege level. Excepted aircraft are certain aircraft listed in Annex I to the new Basic Regulation when used in commercial air transport.

Is it easy to switch your UK issued EASA PPL to a EU state issued EASA PPL?

Yes if you have a valid medical. The process transferring from UK CAA can take 3 to 4 months mainly because of the lethargy of whatever remains of the aeromedical section at Gatwick. Consent (scan/photo of signature required) should be sent to medicalweb at caa co uk for the transfer of medical records to the new authority. The application for SOLI change is made to the new authority. There are fees payable to UK CAA and the new authority.

If you wished to change to the Republic of Ireland for example there’s Guidance to Pilots and Flight Engineers who request a change of State of Licence issue to Ireland published in PLAM (Personnel Licensing Advisory Memoranda) as document no. 02-13 of 9 Oct 2014.

You’re free to undertake training and testing during the transfer period and any historic ratings will be recognised by the new authority. The licence will not be under the administration of the new authority until the UK CAA one has been physically surrendered.

Are you still shopping for a suitable authority or should we start a new thread for that topic?

Do hours in a non-EASA registered aeroplane count towards EASA PPL revalidation/renewal

It is UK CAA’s position that they do. See eg Flight hours in Annex II [now Annex I] aircraft to count for EASA PPL. Flyer (article link), 27 Feb 2018:

The UK CAA told FLYER last week, “Any flight experience amassed in a non-EASA aeroplane can be counted towards the revalidation of the applicable class rating or endorsement.”

A related topic is training on Annex I aircraft addressed here which cites summary record S057428/01= in the Comitology Register for the most recent EASA Committee meeting, dossier CMTD(2018)0697, held 13–14 June 2018:

7. Draft Commission Implementing Regulation based on EASA Opinion 05/2017 amending Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 updating Part-FCL – Discussion

COM explained that the revised Part-FCL as published with EASA Opinion 5/2017 has been presented at previous meetings in 2017. A package of outstanding issues has been addressed in a workshop held in September 2017 followed by a focussed discussion on two issues in the committee meeting 1/2018. EASA presented the last outstanding issue regarding the conditions for using of Annex II aircraft for training purposes, which also indicated that a task force has been set up to prepare relevant guidance material. While numerous clarification requests have been addressed, some MS still disagree with the approach. The Chair concluded that the text will be revised on the basis of the comments and will then be merged again with the other parts of Part-FCL to be presented together with the cover Regulation at the next committee meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for 24–25 Oct.

Do hours in an EASA registred aeroplane count towards a CAA PPL revalidation/renewal?

An aeroplane registered in an EASA Member State? They all count. The revalidation and renewal requirements for United Kingdom pilot’s licences are based to the greatest possible extent on the corresponding requirements in Part-FCL. See the table with Part-FCL references in part 3 (Maintenance of Licence Privileges) of schedule 8 to the Air Navigation Order 2016, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/schedule/8/part/3/made

If you hold both a UK and Part-FCL PPLs then a UK examiner after a proficiency check can sign both certificates of revalidation.

@Peter,

Yes, because any plane with an EASA CofA is an “EASA aircraft” (including e.g. an N-reg TB20) and they all count.

We clarified on the side that the reference to the TB20 was in the type certificate sense only.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message