Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter is correct.

It is pilots like myself, with UK issued EASA licences flying EU (eg French) registered aircraft that are being shafted (again, some would say) by the EU…

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 20 Mar 12:59

CAA will honour EASA licences for two years, “however only in UK airspace”

I don’t think the CAA has the authority to impose such a limitation.

But maybe Brussels is invalidating its own issued licenses explicitly for G-regs? They could do that but it would be highly unusual. Normally it is up to the State of Registry to decide what privileges a particular license gives the pilot of an aircraft on that Registry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m just reading it off the CAA’s own website – who’s a chap to believe?

Old dog learning new tricks

Who knows,they might sort this out during the possible Brexit delay…..ha ha..thats a joke.
Incredible that our UK issued EASA licence will not be valid to fly an EU reg aircraft…..

LGMG, Cyprus

Well, I have written this before, and this is worth what you are paying for it, but there must still be thousands of airline pilots with UK issued papers flying mainland-reg airliners.

So, despite Mr Barnier’s "on Brexit date we will screw the UK into the ground so hard it will squeak, to make sure none of the other countries with significant “exit” populations get the same idea" position, pragmatism will have to prevail after that date, otherwise chaos will result.

Concurrently, don’t expect any concessions or clarifications before the 11th hour because that would be a sign of weakness

Myself, being N-reg, I am wondering what will happen to the SRG2140 + SRG2142 business next month, when that concession expires. I do have the UK papers too, fortunately… although the CAA has not issued the IR which I revalidated Aug 2018, so I am keen to keep the FAA docs valid.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So, despite Mr Barnier’s “on Brexit date we will screw the UK into the ground so hard it will squeak, to make sure none of the other countries with significant “exit” populations get the same idea” position, pragmatism will have to prevail after that date, otherwise chaos will result.

While what you write after that does make sense (negociating tactics), I have a hunch that If I wrote something along the lines of “The idiot who sold us brexit on his bus screwed …” it would get a different treatment.
I’ve seen some inocuous slightly anti-brexit posts deleted (fairly so, It’s a very divisive subject, and against the rules of the forum), but I’m wondering if as the moderator you shouldn’t err to caution / hold youself to a higher standard when you want to voice opinions on the subject.

Last Edited by Noe at 20 Mar 18:55

This is a difficult one.

In the “politics” thread, things were going off the rails very fast, and were getting pretty nasty. Some of the posts there were basically saying “anyone who voted Out is an idiot”, which I would say is not allowable, not least because it is a thinly veiled personal attack on something of the order of 50% of UK people here. The nature of social media is that you are very unlikely to see “anyone who voted IN is an idiot”. Together with some other nasty stuff going on elsewhere on the internet concerning EuroGA, and the impossibility of a balanced debate, I decided to explicitly disallow brexit discussion in that thread.

But in this thread we have brexit and its effect on aviation, so brexit and the issues are integral.

My view would be that my above comment on Mr Barnier’s negotiating strategy and its impact on the licensing uncertainty is not in the same league as “The idiot who sold us brexit on his bus screwed …”. However I take your point. As admin, I do have to be extra careful, and I normally try to achieve that.

Administrator

Have to say I am very happy to have been issued an Austrian license last week. Took about three months to change from CAA to AustroControl.

If post EU UK based with a EU EASA licence am I correct you need to revalidate your ME/IR in an EU state, or possibly with an EU examiner in the UK?

Note the various Belgian/Austrian/Irish approved examiners in the UK have UK licences, so their approval may extinguish post UK leaving the EU.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

If post EU UK based with a EU EASA licence am I correct you need to revalidate your ME/IR in an EU state, or possibly with an EU examiner in the UK?

Robert, isn’t it a licence issued by the CAA under EASA regs? If the UK is no longer in, surely you end up with a UK licence?

According to the CAA:

UK issued licences and approvals (issued when the UK was an EASA member) will continue to have validity under UK law but will no longer be recognised by EASA for use on EASA Member State-registered aircraft.

Last Edited by JasonC at 20 Mar 21:04
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message