Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

If the FF app acquires the MFDVFR charts, that will make it a pretty good basic moving map app.

They have already said that the entire MFDVFR mapping /engine (in terms of the map “style” and “functionality”) will NOT be implemented into FF. They are two entirely different programs and one can’t really merge them. I actually understand that. What they would have to do to get those MFDVFR customers back is somehow make it look like this has happened.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They need to only get the MFDVFR charts into FF. The functionality of MFDVFR is not significant; it is a very basic app.

The maps are all in a database, anyway. You can convert that database to whatever format you like. May be considerable work… it is like moving EuroGA to another forum platform.

I don’t remember ever meeting an MFDVFR user and at €300 I am not surprised.

I had it on free trial for 6 months and liked it, just for the charts. That was years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They need to only get the MFDVFR charts into FF.

They said they won‘t do that. Instead, they keep on repeating that the data behind the maps of the two apps is identical.

The functionality of MFDVFR is not significant; it is a very basic app.

What I was referring to is the „buttonology“. In MFDVFR, it is fairly simple, allowing users to retrieve things such as airfield infos, etc. with one push of a button. In FF, these things are more difficult to retrieve.
That‘s what I meant and what makes many (German) MFDVFR users, who have tried FF, crazy.

I don’t remember ever meeting an MFDVFR user

Just go a a German AOPA flying camp…

they keep on repeating that the data behind the maps of the two apps is identical

What is then different? Did they change the colours, fonts, etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, they did not really “change” them. At the time, the two apps were delveloped by totally different teams (different companies!), aimed at different markets, etc.
Hence, it is only likely that the apps turn out very different in terms of map optics and also in buttonology.

Yes, MFDVFR and FF maps “look” very different. It becomes very obvious when you compare screenshots of identical map areas.

@JasonC wrote:

D-ATIS is also available in Europe for some airports (Just like US). Question is how FF gets hold of it and what it costs them for example. I can get it via ARINC.

Hmm, that’s interesting because I explicitly asked ForeFlight support about D-ATIS and they mentioned it being impossible outside of the US.

EDFE, Germany

Laracrucuas wrote:

Hmm, that’s interesting because I explicitly asked ForeFlight support about D-ATIS and they mentioned it being impossible outside of the US.

Well it isn’t impossible although there are fewer available here. You can see on a Jeppesen chart where it says D-ATIS on the airport chart.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC wrote:

Well it isn’t impossible although there are fewer available here. You can see on a Jeppesen chart where it says D-ATIS on the airport chart.

Hmm, one thing I could think of is that this can (probably, haven’t tried it myself) only be accesses via ACARS and not via a (semi-)public interface that ForeFlight could access. I know that in the US they’re getting their data form Satcom Direct which might not be available in Europe, although I’m only speculating here.

Last Edited by Laracrucuas at 13 Oct 19:31
EDFE, Germany

Laracrucuas wrote:

Hmm, one thing I could think of is that this can (probably, haven’t tried it myself) only be accesses via ACARS and not via a (semi-)public interface that ForeFlight could access. I know that in the US they’re getting their data form Satcom Direct which might not be available in Europe, although I’m only speculating here.

Satcom Direct is a competitor to ARINC. They do D-ATIS in Europe.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message