Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

The sequence numbers are all over the scale on this thread. Surely a bug ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving – this is as intended. See explanation. This is how we number posts in merged threads, and it gives you a unique URL for each post, even in merged threads.

The posts in a merged thread are always in chronological order, as they should be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Returning to the dreaded Brexit, am I being cynical that May hangs on to the concept that there will not be another referundum for one reason, and one reason alone, her job?

She is in charge of a divided party, BUT the single development the Brexiters most fear, is another vote, even more than a deal that they would not be happy with (but think they can change in the coming years anyway). They know that anyone else taking the helm might just go back to the country. Almost certainly a moderate would, but even someone on the hard Brexit side of the argument might go to the country to give them credability (of course they might well be as wrong as Cameron).

So May says trust me, no further referundum and keeps in post because it is a guarantee that at least temporarily unites the Brexiters with the rest of her party.

Cynical?

A more cynical opinion is that May has cleverly been playing a very long game. She, herself, is a remainer. Has she done an excellent job of proving that there is no world better than remaining in the EU?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy – An interesting view, but how does she secure her wish, without going back to the country, which she has said she will not, unless of course she is prepared to fall on her own sword for the sake of her belief. If so I guess we might expect her resignation before too long, but even then she would need to guarantee her successor will give the nation another go. Of course as with all politicians when she said there will not be another vote, she may say that wasnt exactly what she meant.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Timothy – An interesting view, but how does she secure her wish, without going back to the country, which she has said she will not, unless of course she is prepared to fall on her own sword for the sake of her belief. If so I guess we might expect her resignation before too long, but even then she would need to guarantee her successor will give the nation another go. Of course as with all politicians when she said there will not be another vote, she may say that wasnt exactly what she meant.

While I wanted to stay, you can’t have another vote in my view. If it goes the other way, do you then have best out of three?

EGTK Oxford

She did a great job solving the root of the problem: getting ride of many hard Remainers/Brexiteers from Tories driving seat without splitting her party, it took Cameron to setup a referendum just for that in the first place

At the core Brexit is not that much a UK/EU problem but it comes mainly from internal conservative politics that went out of control, so the kind of Brexit you expect March 2019 depends on Tories colours by the time, appart from Rees-Mogg there there is not much for the next shake up?

May has more chances negotiating a nice UK/EU deal than compelling to her own conservative hard remainders/brexiteers, so before asking public about their mind a second time, she needs to do house cleaning first and step down, unfortunatly she may have to crash with no deal and revert back to purge her party…

A second d or third vote will not do that much cleaning IMHO

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Sep 22:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It seems to me some Brexiters voted for a hard Brexit, and some voted for a deal of some sort with Europe. How those two groups are split, I dont know, but I do know only one group will be satisfied. For me that is the sole reason for another vote.

If there is another referundum: it will not be a conceptual one: UK to stay in the EU? but rather “no deal” vs “new bad deal” vs “old good deal” with a lot of details on each one, this may end up being voted by the public again

Actually, May plan is currently labelling hard Brexit as “no deal” (even hard Brexiters, including Nigel, disagree with this and would wants a deal of some sort while out of the EU), so you get the point where this is going…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A less cynical opinion is that May knows that the fact of an approval referendum would destroy her negotiating position. The EU would have every reason to make the deal as unappealing as possible, to increase the likelihood of the referendum result being to remain in the EU.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire
Sign in to add your message