Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Yes; an excellent book – just like everything from Tom Clancy. I’ve got them all.

Well, before he started sub-contracting the writing

However, the NATO doctrine was to go nuclear more or less right away – of necessity.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That was a good video. (The Daily Wire – tolerance one)
Press reports indicate people in the UK can lose their job for openly stating the belief that humans who develop from XX phenotype zygotes are different from those who develop from XY phenotype zygotes.
I taught that in the past. Now it has been realised that what really matters is whether chromosome 23 in a gamete self-identfies as X or Y.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 19 Jan 20:57
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

These days we also know about the SRY gene. Nothing in life is ever simple!

dublinpilot wrote:

What’s BIP? Google doesn’t seem to help.

Sorry, used the German term – it’s GDP. And the low Irish number is obviously driven by low taxes for some businesses and a little less by personal income taxes…

But in general the mood is the same everywhere: Even the reunification of Germany would not have happened if the people could have decided knowing the (economic) consequences – significant share of people on both sides of the fence would have been against it.

Germany

I think Kohl did say that if Germany didn’t do it, the DDR would have become a wasteland and they would all have come to the west. So the 1 trillion DM had to be spent.

It’s interesting actually, because the residents of both N Ireland and Scotland could do the same – both have UK passports. It is thus not in England’s interest to allow a disaster to happen there.

That was a good video. (The Daily Wire – tolerance one)
Press reports indicate people in the UK can lose their job for openly stating the belief that humans who develop from XX phenotype zygotes are different from those who develop from XY phenotype zygotes.
I taught that in the past. Now it has been realised that what really matters is whether chromosome 23 in a gamete self-identfies as X or Y.

I wonder what others think, but I find this really sad, because most of the people involved have a serious mental illness, and most of the rest are opportunists or perverts.

Administrator

dublinpilot wrote:

What’s BIP

GDP in German, I would hazard a guess.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

when you start looking at the cost of propping up Scotland, which is also coming from the rest of the UK (read: the productive parts of England)

In which case, why is the Conservative government so keen to not allow another Scottish Indyref when (a) it would save the rest of the UK money and (b) significantly tip all future general election results strongly towards a Tory win?

Andreas IOM

As I wrote above: if Scotland or the NI got an economic collapse (or more likely a really dreadful “social security situation”) then there would be a mass migration into England, where most of those who moved would end up living off social security again. As with the care home v. care at home argument, it costs less to keep people where they are and spend money on “community projects”.

Also I think Scotland leaving the UK would create loads of issues – even if Scots lost UK passports. You would need a land border, and since Scotland would want to join the EU (which is absolutely the plan AIUI, otherwise financially it would not be viable) it would have to be a Customs border. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. There is the nuclear sub facility; tens of £BN to replace that. One can google around for ideas; this is not a bad summary.

Administrator

Something of an aside, carers visiting can be more expensive than a nursing or residential home. There is a crossover… if you just need a visit a day then it will be cheaper to stay at home. 4 visits a day and it may be cheaper to move as you are paying not just for the care but also the transport costs as the carers drive around the countryside from home to home.

The implication being that being in your own home is so much more agreeable than being in a care home that people (or social services) are willing to pay for it.

Last Edited by kwlf at 20 Jan 11:22

kwlf wrote:

The implication being that being in your own home is so much more agreeable than being in a care home that people (or social services) are willing to pay for it.

The implication in Germany also is, that there is a whole industry making a living out of that fact: Instead of going into a care home, people in deed of care (even or esp. very severe cases like on long term ventilation) are moving into “shared care apartments” technically living in their own flat but being 24×7 taken care of by an “ambulatory care service”. In addition to higher reimbursements for the care service that has the added benefits that the requirements in terms of hygiene, controls, etc. are much lower than for a care home.

Every system that can be abused will be abused…

Germany
Sign in to add your message