Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

IFR you’ll have an issue as Dutchmil Radar is on a 8.33KHz freq nowadays: 128.355

From January 1st 2015 all approach frequencies, and the all ATS will progressively be converted to 8,33.

My feeling is that if France went 8.33 for the VFR stuff, they would have massive issues with many people simply ignoring it and flying non-radio. Same as the UK. 8.33 costs nothing if you have a Garmin 430 or later but very few VFR flyers have that, and 8.33 will cost them thousands. So the above statement is probably just stating the politically obvious i.e. if you don’t want your 2 year old to have his 5th ice cream you don’t say to him he can have it if he screams loud enough.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IFR you’ll have an issue as Dutchmil Radar is on a 8.33KHz freq nowadays: 128.355

Actually, this is a 8.33 kHz channel. The frequency is the same as 128.350. I guess that with a modern 25 kHz radio, it would work perfectly well talking to Dutch Mil on 128.350. The practical risk would be interference from 128.340 and 128.360, if those channels are in use. Someone should try… Not legal, of course.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Apr 02:22
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not legal, of course.

And if you’re caught, not free either. A Dutch pilot was recently fined 1750 euros (yes, you read that correctly) for forgetting the Y in his flightplan. His aircraft was fully 8.33 equipped, he used the right channels and everything, but just had forgotten to include that one letter in the plan.

Obviously there’s going to be a court case and nobody expects this huge fine to stick, but it is a warning that the Dutch authorities take the whole 8.33 thing seriously. Flying in an area where 8.33 channels are used, without 8.33 equipment so using the old 25 kHz frequency… Bad idea.

Has that pilot personally posted in a forum that he got the fine and paid it? What were the exact circumstances i.e. did his aircraft get impounded after landing until he handed over the money?

It would be amazing if one could get done for failing to declare compliance while being actually compliant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There must be hundreds of mistakes made on flight plans every day.

It’s incredible to think that anyone could get fined for it.

Having said that the dutch are the people who :

1. Prosecuted two pilots for flying too low and disturbing wildlife in a natura 2000 area, when there was no lower limit set for these areas (and they force you to fly not above 1200ft without mode s).

2. Who made it a requirement to have mode S & Turn it on in order to fly above 1200ft but then realised that their radar screens were too cluttered and they couldn’t see the airlines, so they made it a requirement to turn off mode S unless asked to leave it on by ATC. So you had the odd situation that to fly above 1200ft you needed to have a mode S transponder, and you needed to have it turned OFF

3. Brought in a fixed ELT requirement that you need just as you are crossing the border, but not while inside their airspace.

So I suppose they have form for doing strange things!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Don’t Brest control have some 8,33 frequencies? That may not apply at the lower levels.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Starting from tomorrow, some frequencies (approach, departure…) at Paris Charles de Gaulle will change to 8.33 spacing.
These frequencies might be used by general aviation (IFR) at the lower level.
I don’t know if other airports in France are concerned.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 01 Apr 12:54

Will there be any enforcement of 8.33 on UK aircraft abroad at the moment? I have a 430 but I’m reluctant to switch it over because of the extra knob twiddling.

I’m also not clear about the ‘Y’ in the FPL: are UK aircraft presently exempt from 8.33 and not supposed to put ‘Y’ even if they’ve got it? And does this UK exemption apply if the G-reg is in France, or Holland etc? (All this with reference to VFR).

Thanks, confused, David

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Starting from tomorrow, some frequencies (approach, departure…) at Paris Charles de Gaulle will change to 8.33 spacing.

If I remember correctly, according to the circulary I posted earlier in this thread, Orly and CDG were supposed to get 8.33 frequencies already in 2014. Wonder whether that would mean that they are somewhat delayed in their implementation.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message