Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

In case some of you have not received it, I got this email the other day from Sebastian:

Dear pilots,
Thank you for using ADLConnect. If you would like to receive weather updates also via satellite, I have a bunch of pre owned ADL devices left over from other pilots upgrading:

ADL120 overhauled (many available)
Without fixed service plan commitment
190,- EUR + VAT

ADL130 overhauled (few available)
290,- EUR + VAT

ADL140 overhauled (many available)
390,- EUR + VAT

It would be a pitty to let them rot on the shelf. So if you are interested, just write me.

Tempting.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

ADL130 overhauled (few available)

Those ADL130 are now sold out now. I also have some pre owned ADL200 for 390,- EUR + VAT but that is with the 24 months satellite service at 39,50 EUR + VAT per month.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Today I left some ADL leaflets at Island of Brac LDSB airport. Although the weather there is always beautiful, maybe someone will need ADL for returning home

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great, that reminds me to put some leaflets next to the euroga stand at LOWG.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks for putting the flyers! For some bench testing, does anybody have a Garmin GDL88 on the shelf which I could buy or borrow?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Sebastian_G
Would you expose the kind of testing you intend to perform ? (I have no GDL88 available )

Also, your request made me think again about the way to interface the ADL with legacy avionics (such as G1000), which you have not been able to do due to proprietary protocols.
Would it be possible to have the ADL emitting / emulating FIS-B (aka “weather ADSB-OUT”), feeding that way ADSB-IN enabled avionics ?

PS/
There would be another way through emulating GDL69(A).
GDL69 uses different protocols to connect different avionics: for example, RS232 for MX200, and HSDB (proprietary garmin ethernet protocol ?) for G1000.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 28 Feb 08:57

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Would it be possible to have the ADL emitting / emulating FIS-B (aka “weather ADSB-OUT”), feeding that way ADSB-IN enabled avionics ?

Yes that seems to be the only way. I have no hopes for the GDL69 protocol as the XM weather is all encrypted etc. I managed to sneek some weather into the GDL39 so GDL88 is next.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 28 Feb 10:59
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That would be really great. Then weather could be received and be shown also on the Lynx and on the Aspen.

EDDS , Germany

I managed to sneek some weather into the GDL39 so GDL88 is next.

Good Sebastian !!
Is it a modified ADL you have used for this ? Was it complicated to incorporate an emitter for FISB frequency ?
What would happen if there was simultaneously ADL data and an ADSB ground station in reach ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 28 Feb 13:08

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

What would happen if there was simultaneously ADL data and an ADSB ground station in reach ?

That should not be a real problem. In the US often you will receive data from many ADS-B ground stations at the same time. It is then the app which decides which data it incorporates into the map.

Is it a modified ADL you have used for this ? Was it complicated to incorporate an emitter for FISB frequency ?

The ADL devices can supply the data stream via RS232 cable and then some additional little transmitter is required. So from a technical point the ADL140, 150(B), 190 and 200 could be retrofitted with such an external box. But this is a complex project from the certification point of view etc.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message