Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN89B updating cable

Velar, in my aircraft (TB20) I got a KLN90B which has a data socket on the r/h panel. Last year I bought a used cable from someone who upgraded his avionics.

So now I download the new database via the Bendix-King internet site onto my laptop and take it to the hangar to update the GPS. My cable is different from the one Lonestar offers for the 90B. It has a 9 pole female on one side (where I put an USB adapter on) for the laptop and the round jack, like for headsets but a bit smaller to plug into the aircraft socket.

The cable Lonestar offers for the KLN90B is for their docking station Commander 2000K - so you could do the update at home, but you have to take the GPS home with you (+ buy the docking station for 270USD plus freight). I think its the same with the 89B cable. The 89B must be powered for the update. So maybe the best solution is to ask your avionics shop to install a socket in the aircraft and to buy the appropriate cable from Bendix/King. regards

EDxx, Germany

Normally the connector is underneath the panel.

Will I need additional equipment to power the KLN89B if I attempt to update it using this cable in the office?

There is a bench rig you can plug it into, but it isn't cheap and IMHO it's not a good idea to keep pulling the GPS out of the panel, given the method of fixing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That's a great help thanks chaps. I assume this cable attaches to the back of the KLN89B as I can't find a data port for a jack plug on my instrument panel. Will I need additional equipment to power the KLN89B if I attempt to update it using this cable in the office?

it's a real bargain for USD 750.- but TSOed :-)

EDxx, Germany

That Lonestar site is a great find.

This is quite funny. A TSOd USB connector for charging things.

Administrator

The cable is detailed in the KLN89B installation manual which can be found with google at a few places like here. See pages 2-57 or 2-59 there.

I suspect the oddball plug may be the same as the KFC225 plug which is detailed here (search for "plug") but the actual connector in your aircraft may be something else. A DB9 is commonly installed too and they are about 10p...

I also have a huge avionics manuals collection so if anybody needs anything, let me know

Another approach may be to get a PC writer for the card(s). I have this and the same or similar may be usable. I have never done the download option, as it needs a laptop to be run with an internet connection in the aircraft, and the Honeywell website is hugely bloated... But a PC writer needs one to have at least 2 cards, so one can swap it right there in the aircraft. Honeywell sell the cards for about $200 but you can find them on Ebay (US avionics Ebay e.g. here).

Administrator

Does anyone know where I can buy an off-the-shelf cable to fit between my laptop and KLN89B GPS? I have a database update to do; previously I was buying new cards but these are now cost prohibitive in comparison to the website download. I'm in the UK.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message