Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Blackshape

I still would like you to cite an example (not the DC3 or B707, please, we are talking G/A here).

Jan,

All PA28’s that I’ve flown, the pilot’s view is forward of the wing (I say all that I’ve flow as there may be some variants that I’m not aware of when this isn’t possible.).

All the TB series (I’ve flow a TB9, and been in a TB20, but can’t comment on the TB10).

It’s a long time since I’ve flown a DV20 or a Rallye 100, but I don’t remember any issue with seeing downwards, but from memory they had a straigh tdown view (but may have involved the pilot leaning slightly forward, I can’t be 100% sure if it necessitated a lean forward). But in this aircraft it don’t seem possible that the pilot will get even a half decent downward view, never mind straight down, unless they enter a steep turn.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 01 Sep 15:50
EIWT Weston, Ireland

EHLE

All PA28’s that I’ve flown, the pilot’s view is forward of the wing (I say all that I’ve flow as there may be some variants that I’m not aware of when this isn’t possible.).

No, not the PA28.

All the TB series (I’ve flow a TB9, and been in a TB20, but can’t comment on the TB10).

No, not the TB series either.

It’s a long time since I’ve flown a DV20 or a Rallye 100, but I don’t remember any issue with seeing downwards, but from memory they had a straigh tdown view (but may have involved the pilot leaning slightly forward, I can’t be 100% sure if it necessitated a lean forward). But in this aircraft it don’t seem possible that the pilot will get even a half decent downward view, never mind straight down, unless they enter a steep turn.

And neither the DV20, nor the MS880.

There may be plenty arguments against this design, but visibility isn’t going to be one of them. If you consider the visibility out of a PA-28 being good, you certainly wouldn’t complain out of a Blackshape. (BTW: Try to look down on the right from the pilot’s seat of the mentioned aircraft.)

Last Edited by mh at 01 Sep 16:20
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Discussion on downward visibility closed I suppose..
Note that the Belgians seem to be able to get an exception to the rules of minimum altitudes. Maybe we should move there!
On second thoughts, it must have been a very long final and he got a bit too low

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Hands up, it looks like my impression isn’t matching with reality!

Perhaps part of it is that I’m shorter than most and hence sit more forward.

But I will say this much. In each of those aircraft the pilot can lean forward and look directly sideways and downward. I think that they are too far back in the Blackshape to be able to do that.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

it must have been a very long final and he got a bit too low

That must be it, this country is good at pragmatism, yes we are! That said, myself wouldn’t fly so low in that very beautiful but densely wooded region called Ardennes. Didn’t we all learn that speed is safety, and altitude is life insurance?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@dublinpilot: could it be that the downwards sights that are so dear to you were less vertical than you thought? Being less tall than some, as you state, would perhaps make you sit more forward – if you have the luxury of seat slides – but would equally reduce the gain of leaning forward.

Then again, my own high wing with lots of extra shoulder room offers very nice views in all directions, and I always enjoy the scenery on all sides – but for pilotage, the one place where you want to look most of all is straight ahead, usually. Sometimes you want to look straight ahead but below and that’s when a sideslip comes in handy – low wing and high wing equally.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@dublinpilot: could it be that the downwards sights that are so dear to you were less vertical than you thought?

I think I already admitted that ;) Check two posts above.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

My second bad then, tonight, for not reading carefully enough. I owe you one!

But I am still puzzled as to WHY (more or less) vertically down visibility is so important to you – it is the one direction where you never want to be going – and will not, either, as long as the plane is in one piece.

Last Edited by at 01 Sep 20:53
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It always bugs me in side-by-side aircraft that the people on the left hand side have a very different view from me. At least in a tandem aircraft you should be able to have better views in both directions and share the experience better. The raised position of the rear passenger in the Blackshape seems to offer a good view down and forwards and a decent view down and back too. I’d have to sit in it to be sure, but it’s not something I’d have immediately anticipated as an issue.

Sign in to add your message