Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot Magazines

I read the US AOPA magazine, Flying (but not a patch on what it used to be), Aviation Consumer, Piloot en Vliegtuig, Plane Owner and Vliegen in Nederland

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Is there a belgian pilot magazine ?
It could be nice to stay aware of what happens in Belgium.
The French one is really not perfect but it’s almost a tradition to read it :smile
I don’t know any good magazine, EuroGA kind of replaced them all for me : bigsmile

One US magazine I like is (or was, don’t know) Pilot Getaways. So much to dream about in this stuff. Nice weekends destinations in all parts of the US.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 14 Nov 11:51
LFOU, France

Aviation & Pilote (french – 5 € apps version, 5,95 € paper), Pilot und Flugzeug (german – 7,40 €) and AOPA Magazine (free for members). That usually gives a good overall view.

France

BTW I have a large quantity of the US AOPA mag, going back about 4 years. Free to anyone who wants to collect it or pay for shipping

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just a strange idea: This forum has really interesting resorts and we have many experts. Experts for the technical stuff as well as for the trips section. Maybe we can publish a quarterly magazine on our own. Online first followed maybe by a printed version.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

Online first followed maybe by a printed version.

Why not just read the forum topics? The problem with long serving magazines and on line reads is that over time they seem to become similar and regular regurgetated topics. The forums can suffer this also, with one difference. Contributors can pitch in with real life experiences, scenarios, which IMO livens up the read. Also the contributors can instantly opt in, or out, with commentary ie interactive. Not so with the magazine, unless you write a letter…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

@BeechBaby I completely agree with you. To be more precise. The “magazine” could be a kind of lectured summary, which might be helpful in addition to the forum where some threads are drifting away. And it could serve @peter promotion approach. Finally some adds in the magazine might help to finance other projects, i.e. the euroga forum airstrip. ;-) Okay, I don’t really believe in that.

EDDS , Germany

I appreciate you guys having these ideas but the problem is that somebody has to do the hard work. I could not even get anyone to put this together into some sort of self contained document. Also it would need periodic updating. However, even if the labour was available, it needs to be worthwhile.

On the wider issue of mags, printed or online, I think they are basically dead these days. Some previous threads here and here. They are bound up by an inability to write critical stuff about any advertiser. Good editorial content needs talent i.e. money, and that is why trade magazines are mostly just advert packages with a load of “advertorials”.

One also runs out of publishable topics pretty fast. And technological topics tend to move along – even in the certified arena.

The internet has flooded everybody with more info than they can handle and has diluted everybody’s attention span.

So I think that if the objective is to create an information resource for GA, a good well managed forum is the way to go. There are many angles on any given question… Running a forum is enough work, with a (thankfully very small) number of people doing their best to break it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I read Pilot und Flugzeug (german), the Mooney Flyer (online, free) as well as Aerorevue and Skynews (Swiss mags free to aeroclub or AAA members). Used to read plane and pilot and Flying but they are of little use as fully American based as they should be.

The idea of running a mag out of a forum is not bad but as Peter sais, there is a lot of work involved. I used to write for a flight simulation magazine (FlightXpress if anyone knows it) for 13 years and I know what it means to write articles to a deadline every month. It’s great fun and very rewarding but it is also bloody hard work.

But in a way, I like the idea. Euroga has become a focal point for European GA and there is probably a lot more knowledge here than elsewhere. A mag may be a bit over the top but it merits thought.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This: https://pplir.org/magazine

And if you pay the outrageous sums to get behind their “paywall”, you will even get the latest issue as soon as it comes out.

Also I subscribe to the German “Pilot und Flugzeug” as does Mooney_Driver, after switching from the rather shallow “Fliegermagazin” after an editorial in which their editor in chief ranted about internet pilot forums. :)

Sign in to add your message