Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

Finners wrote:

A lot of people seem say that X-Plane is inaccessible and I can see that a total novice might not know where to start, though I would hope that even with a modicum of curiosity they would get going quite quickly.

Hm. Being a total novice in flight simming, I had no problems with X-Plane 10. But then I am a computer geek.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My issue with x-plane was mainly with interacting with radio boxes. I found it extremely frustrating to have to do tons of clicks to turn the little dial (and be very precise as to where you click). It would be nice (it might also exist but I didn’t find at the time) if there was a way one could use it’s ipad as a cockpit and do things by touch (with some reasonable interface, such as slide up / dow for frequencies, or even a keypad)

Noe wrote:

My issue with x-plane was mainly with interacting with radio boxes. I found it extremely frustrating to have to do tons of clicks to turn the little dial (and be very precise as to where you click). It would be nice (it might also exist but I didn’t find at the time) if there was a way one could use it’s ipad as a cockpit and do things by touch (with some reasonable interface, such as slide up / dow for frequencies, or even a keypad)

You mean like this.

https://remoteflight.net/remote-flight-radio-hd

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason, I’ll give that a go, it should give extra motivation to start the sim again. Or this one http://www.simionic.net/WordPress/g1000-apps/

But I agree with you. The whole touchable knobs etc doesn’t really work well. It was easier in the good old days with SubLogic Flight Simulator when everything was on the keyboard.

Ah, the history of FS. Certainly got me into aviation.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Jan 10:12
EGTK Oxford

You can assign any key to any function – it’s easy to make the radio controls more accessible.

stevelup wrote:

You can assign any key to any function – it’s easy to make the radio controls more accessible.

I know. I just don’t get the trend towards having everything touchable. Maybe when VR really allows you to touch it, it will make sense.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I know. I just don’t get the trend towards having everything touchable. Maybe when VR really allows you to touch it, it will make sense.

With the current controls, I’m generally all for maximise keyboard use vs mouse / touch. However, a well designed 100% keyboard sim would probably be a bit too easy to use (for instance, I wouldn’t have to remove my eyes from the EFIS). The sim might be a bit more realistic with some sub optimal controls that are distracting (as long as they are not a real pain to use!)

(My only interest right now is to sometimes do some IFR practice)

Last Edited by Noe at 05 Jan 12:42

JasonC wrote:

You mean like this.

https://remoteflight.net/remote-flight-radio-hd

I hadn’t seen that before. Looks nice and is obviously aimed at a GA audience.

I have been using an iPad for comms panel switches with AirTrack: https://haversine.com/airtrack/comms

AirTrack does more than just comms. It can be a PFD, MFD, MCP and (extremely) rudimentary FMS. These are intended to look and operate a bit like a 737, but not terribly dissimilar to high-end GA. There is a bit of lag in the PFD/MFD function, but it’s usable. One could use AirTrack in such a way that your computer monitor is simply for external visuals only.

For comms and maybe MCP functions, AirTrack does a superb job.

The same developer makes a much better FMS, AirFMS, which is just superb on an iPad if the aircraft supports it – for instance, the EADT x737 is great in this regard. I run this on a second iPad. I have yet to test this with X-Plane 11, but I’m hopeful of even better integration with more aircraft.

Other airliner-style PFD/MFD options are available… such as ProSim 737, SimAvionics or (free/donation-ware) XHSI.

EGTT, The London FIR

Due to the fact Virtual Reality is the future and something i use, I like VoiceAttack
Hopefully they will create something better in the future with hand sensors, but for now you need something to control via voice.

Sign in to add your message