Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European Tour Apr / May 2016 - Croatia, Greek Islands and return via Carcassonne

Kithera to Kerkira (and diversion to Iraklion) – 4th May 2016

Key figures

261 nm, 01:40, Max groundspeed 222 knots, average G/S 160 knots, max altitude FL170, Z plan – VFR/IFR/VFR

Routeing

Two routes are shown; the first flight in yellow is the IFR high level plan to Kerkira, which diverted to Iraklion. The second flight in blue (flown the next day) is the eventual flight to Kerkira.

Planning – a useful insurance policy

The morning of the flight to Kerkira, it was obvious we were in for a challenge. The winds were very strong from the North and with significant cloud showing on satellite returns. I knew we would have springtime CBs embedded in upper level clouds and with the strong chance of significant icing. With that in mind, a quick e-mail with the “standard letter” was sent to Goldair, a Handling Agent in Iraklion. We advised we had no intention of coming, but that in the case of a diversion, would we be welcome? The advantage of having a local number is apparent at such times – he called me personally to assure me they would keep an eye on my flight and be ready if we were to arrive.

I then sent a fax to Megara in much the same vein. With Megara further to the north of Kithera, it was likely that any diversion there would prove to be a challenge in terms of weather. Again, a phone call from Megara with the tower supervisor. I was welcome to land and uplift fuel, but with the proviso that I then had to leave. As it was a joint military airport, then if I were to stay a night without the required PPR from the military, I would be liable for a “big, very big fine”. That said, I was very welcome indeed to drop in for fuel. With options available to us, we decided to fly the trip today.

The flight

Unfortunately there aren’t so many photos today as the main camera was packed away – and we were somewhat busy. Having decided to fly, we had to wait for the airport to open – at 1500 local. As the day wore on, the build-ups started to arrive and large, grey, wet strato-cumulus started to cover the entire sky. The winds were strong and had a cutting edge to them. As we walked to the aircraft the rain started so we threw the bags (and camera) into the back and got ready for departure.

We flew out low under the cloud to some blue sky off the coast, then climbed to FL140 to remain VMC. Opening IFR went smoothly and we were given a quick short cut, direct TRL. Before long the cloud tops came closer and big build ups could be seen on the horizon. We climbed to FL170 and beat hard against the now very strong headwind. The cloud came closer again and before long we were also taking weather deviations to avoid big, building CBs. ATC again were most helpful.

FL170 – an altitude record for this airframe.

It was getting close to decision time…

We dodged and avoided for about 5-10 minutes, but into the winds it was painful progress and we knew this band of weather was extensive. ATC were already aware of our plan to turn and run if we couldn’t stay clear, but as we came around yet another cell, there was a wall of high level cloud directly ahead. It wasn’t a CB, but we were well aware that somewhere in that cloud there was a CB, and we did not want to meet it, let alone at FL170.

We turned and managed about 40 seconds of actual IF in the process. ATC gave us the clearance to “do what you need to do, fly whatever heading you want, and let us know when you are ready for vectors”. What a joy to weather-avoid in this environment.

This view was of the high level cloud after we had turned. The tops are close, but the view behind us was very exciting!

As we headed South towards Iraklion, we took vectors initially, then were instructed to track to a random waypoint in Crete. We did a Skydemon search in Airways mode, it popped up (as a visual report point, so not in the Garmin 430 database), and we set track.

Having made the decision to turn, we now had to find AVGAS on our next stop. Iraklion was further than we had planned, so it was going to eat into our comfort reserves, but with a strong tailwind, we were making good progress. 220 knots ground speed!

The remainder of the flight was unremarkable, except for the number of visual report points that we had to track when vectoring for arrival. Skydemon came into its own as we searched, found and tracked those waypoints, a real boon on a diversion. We were kept very high for separation from commercial traffic even though there did not seem too much around, and at 5 miles abeam the threshold, we were still up at 7,000 feet.

We were then released to self position which required some fairly positive manoeuvring.

To short final….

We were politely asked to roll through to the second exit (which surprised me as I was expecting the first to lead to “36 Parking”). As we exited, a follow me vehicle was there to meet us and guide us back to 36 Parking. We were invited to refuel immediately so we shut down at the AVGAS fuel station…

The fuel officer came out and managed the refuel as we were meeting our Handling Agent. He knew we were on the way as soon as we turned. My Air BP card was taken, and the refuelling completed whilst we unpacked the aircraft and put her to bed for the night.

As we had arrived at an International Port we were guided through Customs and Immigration (we just smiled and went with the flow, even though we had flown in from a Greek airport). Out onto groundside we walked 100 yards to the bus stop and took a EUR2 bus ride into the main city (every 10-20 minutes) whilst booking our AirB&B.

The view from the balcony of our EUR50 per night self contained apartment…

We were met by the entire family to make sure we had everything we needed and to offer us some treats before disappearing. One of those treats was Kirsty’s first try of Raki.

Guess what happens next?

pg
PG
EGJB

Iraklion to Kerkira – 5th May 2016

Key figures

395 nm, 02:40, Max groundspeed 180 knots, average G/S 150 knots, max altitude 3,200 ft, Z plan – VFR/IFR/VFR

Routeing

Two routes are shown; the first flight in yellow is yesterday’s IFR high level plan to Kerkira, which diverted to Iraklion. This trip report covers the leg to Kerkira shown in blue.

We decided to make a reasonably early start as we wanted to join the fly in at Carcassonne and we were now both behind time and even further away from home.

The weather once again looked challenging, with big build ups to the North of Crete. However, our plan today was to remain VFR until clear of the cells to the North, and then to climb above the next band which was sitting over the Peloponnes peninsula. We exited via the Crew Channel in the Terminal, and presented ourselves to Immigration once again. We then had to pay EUR60 our airport charges and handling; Iraklion was unusual in that there was a non-standard landing fee well in excess of the standard CAA fee. We weren’t going to quibble – given how busy the airport was, and how good the service, it was a fair price to pay. We were then taken to the aircraft.

It was a promising start…

And during the VFR departure off runway 30, there was plenty of sunshine towards Crete.

However…. to the right of the aircraft (and to the North), things did not look so pretty.

We stayed low so that we could thread our way around these monsters.

Lightning started, and it wasn’t occasional either. Once it kicked off, there was a band of lightning showering the sea, and going the other way, water spouts being lifted up into the cloud. Needless to say we weren’t going to go near these, not were we going to climb if it risked going IMC. It was developing so quickly that IFR was now out of the question – we weren’t going anywhere near those cells unless we could see them. We therefore cancelled IFR and requested to remain at low level till clear of the band, and then to re-route VFR around the western coastline of the Peloponnes peninsula. With ATC co-operating with us yet again, we were given clearance to continue as required and with two frequencies to try when we could. At 3,000ft I was able to raise Chania who were happy for us to navigate as desired. I explained I was going to have to descend to remain VFR and that might put me out of radio contact for a while. No problem. We continued for a while at 2,000 and then 1,500ft keeping well away from the cells and making a general line towards Kithera. We entered Chania’s military airspace and as expected, were unable to speak to them at that altitude. Climbing after another 5 minutes we were back in radio contact and later handed off to Athens. All very helpful and laid back.

We made it back to Kithera where the CBs were much more isolated.

By now we were speaking to Kalamata, and with trepidation that an ad hoc transit of the MTMAs would not be allowed, or so closely controlled that we would be going round in circles and unable to avoid the weather. Nothing could be further from reality. Kalamata were open to our request to self navigate along the coast VFR, and they coordinated that request with the next agency Andravida.

Given the freedom to navigate as required we were able to avoid the weather without any great difficulty. The CBs over the Peloponnese peninsula had really turned ugly – when we looked back over it was obvious we would never have been able to fly that route.

With open sea and isolated cells to our left, and all the terrain and the filthy weather to our right, we were able to enjoy the scenery and take some photographs.

As the flight progressed, the clouds disappeared (though not from the mainland)

And we were left with calm seas and open skies…

As we coasted out over Lefkada, we were taken aback by the amazing turquoise sea, and whilst I’m no expert in these things, I assumed that it was sand in the current making these patterns.

We were soon approaching Kerkira, and passing farmlands and small interesting towns,

Once handed off to Kerkira we were told to report KRK not above 1,000ft, and then we self positioned for final.

Approaching from the South….

To final…

And rolling out past a busy apron

to the GA apron towards the end of the landing runway, 35.

And that we thought, was that… Unpack the plane, a dash of fuel, then head off to an AirB&B. We fell into conversation with the pilots of the Bonanza parked next to us, and as pilots do, swapped stories and marvelled at the blue skies. Our Swissport Handling Agent drove up to take EUR25 and then said he’d be back. Discussing our long day tomorrow (Kerkira – Figari – Carcassonne), we mentioned we’d like to find an intermediate stop whilst the weather was fine, but that Italy was just too hard. The guys mentioned Salerno (en-route, has AVGAS, and reasonable landing fees), and so back in the aircraft, I planned a quick autorouter IFR flight and checked Skydemon. Blast! 48 hours customs notification. I telephoned Salerno Ops on Skype and somebody answered! They had no issue with the Customs (as I was coming form Schengen) but they were concerned as the airport Police closed at 1700 local. “How much notice are you requesting?”.

“I’ll be there in 2 hours if you are ok with that?” I shot them our “standard letter” and an e-mail came back with an approval – as long as we didn’t arrive after the Police had left the office. It was all happening quickly now. Kirsty had grabbed a lift to the terminal to buy some water and snacks, I had no landing fees to pay as that had been done in Iraklion. The refueller had already delivered 90 litres (enough for Kerkira / Salerno / Figari) using my AirBP card. I decided we’d give it a go – even though this second flight would have us landing 25 minutes before their closing time.

A quick check on the radio and ATC confirmed the flight plan had been received. When Kirsty arrived we discussed our plan with the Handling Agent who presumably was delighted not to have to look after us any more. We mentioned that Immigration might want to discuss this, but he gave me one of those looks that I took to mean “there’s an easy way and a hard way”. Knowing this was an intra Schengen flight, I just replied with a, “ahh, ok, goodbye” and he drove off with a cheery wave. We closed the hatches and set off for Salerno in blue skies…

pg
PG
EGJB

Kerkira to Salerno – 5th May 2016

Key figures

256 nm, 01:40, Max groundspeed 212 knots, average G/S 152 knots, max altitude FL110 ft, Z plan – VFR/IFR/VFR

Routeing

An easy VFR departure after just 90 minutes on the ground in Kerkira, and IFR opened in the climb without a hitch. Looking back to the East, it was still apparent that there was severe weather over the Peloponnese peninsula – an IFR transit in our aircraft would not have been possible on a day such as today.

We were flying west in blue skies and with a good view of Brindisi…

About an hour into the flight and over on the west coast of Italy, the clouds were still building.

Getting closer…

We decided that we would be better off dropping down below and remaining VMC. Unfortunately, Brindisi were’t quite as relaxed as Greek ATC and we were told to maintain level until clear of the TMA. Fair enough, but we were certainly starting to get close to the clouds and I had already identified my entry path to VFR below, and I didn’t want to go past it.

IFR was cancelled, we were released by Brindisi, and down we went…

Back in familiar territory now, we followed valleys and progressed generally west, with the knowledge that there was no controlled airspace ahead of us, it made the navigation a breeze – just follow the valleys to the coast.

Please do note that these photographs were taken with a telephoto lens, and whilst in the photos the clouds and mountains look close, conditions were always legal for VMC, VFR flight. It certainly was not CAVOK, but it was manageable. This is one of the reasons I like to fly both VFR and IFR. They are to me, complementary skill sets and as such, I take time to practise and stay comfortable with both. I couldn’t recommend diving under cloud if close navigation makes you uncomfortable, but for me, in my aircraft, having a degree of comfort in both VFR and IFR flying allows me more flexibility of when and where I fly.

Regardless, at the end of a long flying day, we started to reach the flat coastal plains.

With Salerno airport in the 12 o’ clock

We made a downwind join

With a tight right base

For short final.

Rolling out on runway 05, the main terminal area is to the right, but we park on a little GA pan to the left side of the end of the runway (which can be seen on the photograph of tight right base).

We unpacked the aircraft and were driven to the terminal where a taxi was called for us. The Police never met us and we were told that it really is not required for intra Schengen and so they were not interested. The taxi into Salerno was expensive (although a fair price) at EUR45. And so, after a long day, we settled down for a beer on the seafront whilst we booked a place to stay for the night – the Novotel Salerno Est Arechi, on an unbelievably good deal, and cheaper than the taxi.

pg
PG
EGJB

Should have dropped me an email, pg. I have a good tip for (beachside) accomodation after landing at Pontecagnano… next time…

Well, maybe you were in fact quite happy to be back in proper “city” after weeks of isolation, after all…

Beautiful photos of the coastline, by the way. Where exactly was it?
Must definitely be due to special winds or currents. Lake Garda does something similar in certain weather conditions:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 May 17:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m really enjoying this. Thank you for all the reports!

One question. I was a little lost about why the change of plan in Corfu? It wasn’t clear to me why you changed your mind about staying the night in Corfu? The 48 hours customs didn’t seem to be a problem (as you got it in 2 hours!). Was there another reason, or just decided to press on when you can?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Salerno down time

What to do in Italy in 18 hours?

Beach

Beer

And, of course, Bizza

The next day we decided to try the bus to the airport, which was actually OK. It was of course crammed full, and there was no way of buying a ticket – but we supposed it would be about EUR2 for the 40 minute ride to the airport. We stopped for a croissant and a strong coffee before walking about 1 Km to the terminal. There was a fair bit of waiting around, but an hour later we were in the aircraft with engine started.

Salerno to Figari and Figari to Carcassonne – 6th May 2016

Key figures – Salerno to Figari

284 nm, 01:50, Max groundspeed 176 knots, average G/S 159 knots, max altitude FL100, Z plan – VFR/IFR/VFR

Routeing

Airborne, we had to remain below Naples zone whilst we tried to raise them on the radio. Terrain shielding was a problem in terms of the comms, but not in terms of the view. We were instructed to remain below 3,000ft, which suited us perfectly as we flew down the Amalfi coast. When Napoli asked us whether we were ready to climb, we asked to remain low to Capri – and Napoli had no problem with that. We were treated to stunning views of the Amalfi Coast, and of Capri.

Passing Capri we climbed and opened IFR. Not much track shortening so we spent a lot of time flogging over the sea. However, on arrival to Figari, we cancelled IFR and took a fly down the coast – to be very pleasantly surprised by the glorious view of Bonifacio,

Then it was time to join Figari. Number 1 to final. Very windy, pretty bumpy.

Rolling out to the large pan to the right, we pulled up at the vacant fuel pump and shut down. Kirsty went indoors to pay the bills whilst I refuelled the aircraft. As we were just stopping for fuel, there was no landing fee – just a “refuel fee” of EUR18. This was for a refueller to come out and swipe my credit card. After he did that, he pointed to the pump and it then became apparent that the rest of the refuel was self service. 200 litres at 1.67 Euro / litre.

Kirsty joined me, and we were airborne again 55 minutes after landing. It is worth noting though that we had to wait about 20 minutes for the refueller (card swiper) to come to us from his office. We were first in the queue so it only took us 30 minutes for the refuel – but the time we left the pump, there were 3 planes waiting for fuel, so it might take a bit of time to refuel on a bad day.

Figari looked like a good spot for a visit, albeit they were a bit strange with us when we got our original PPR slot for an arrival from Kerkira. Customs / Immigration were going to be mandatory, and when I asked why this would be so for an intra Schengen flight, it was explained that since the recent terrorist attacks in Paris, that arrivals from Greece were being fully scrutinised. I didn’t argue with it, but couldn’t help being a little surprised – we had exited Greece without Immigration, arrived in Italy without Immigration, and arrived in France without immigration (as we had arrived from Italy). Yet had the same aircraft and crew flown directly form Corfu, we would have required Immigration on exit and Immigration on arrival. I’m glad I’m not responsible for enforcing these rules – does anyone know what they are?

Salerno to Figari and Figari to Carcassonne – 6th May 2016

Key figures – Figari to Carcassonne

365 nm, 02:20, Max groundspeed 173 knots, average G/S 157 knots, max altitude FL100, Z plan – VFR/IFR/VFR

Uneventful. A bumpy departure in the strong winds, but with some good views – going to have to go back there for a few days.

And then lots of sea and blue skies till the South of France

Marseille Airport

And then starting descent and visually self positioning behind Ryanair – who was performing an NDB approach. The green fields made us feel we were “home”

And then we were on final, remaining high just in case of any lingering wake turbulence. Strong winds made it a little lumpy.

And a chance to look over all the EuroGA aircraft

Before checking into the accommodation and admiring the view from the balcony.

It had been a tough few days of flying, but we had caught up with our itinerary and were looking forward to our very first fly in.

Last Edited by PG at 21 May 22:08
pg
PG
EGJB

Carcassonne to Guernsey – 8th May 2016

Key figures

436 nm, 02:25, Max groundspeed 209 knots, average G/S 181 knots, max altitude FL70, flight plan – IFR/VFR

Routeing

Well, we were all there in Carcassonne, so no need to discuss the weather. We planned to stay 3 nights originally, but looking at the weather forecast, it looked like we were going to have a difficult trip home if we stayed the third night, and so we made the decision to head home on the Sunday 8th afternoon instead. A very windy take off and into cloud pretty quickly, but we knew the weather was localised. Indeed, 20 miles to the north we were in the clear, and Puffin started mithering for home.

Eventually, after our epic journey, our home loomed out of the distance.

Joining for right base and the Easterly runway.

Onto finals

And a final landing before putting the aircraft to bed. She never missed a beat throughout the whole trip. We lost the digital instrumentation on the way south, the landing light had gone pop, and she had used about 2 litres of oil. Apart from that, she had behaved perfectly.

Puffin was happy to be at home at last.

All that was left was to return the next day to clean her out and to give her a well deserved wash. And then of course to sit down and write up a trip report….

THE END?

pg
PG
EGJB

dublinpilot wrote:

dublinpilot 21-May-16 21:12 #55
I’m really enjoying this. Thank you for all the reports!

One question. I was a little lost about why the change of plan in Corfu? It wasn’t clear to me why you changed your mind about staying the night in Corfu… Was there another reason, or just decided to press on when you can?

We were behind schedule for the Carcassonne fly in and we had a lot of miles to fly. The skies were blue when we arrived in Corfu and the opportunity presented itself to make another quick hop so as to balance out the flying a little more over two days. We would have liked to stay in Corfu – but we can do that by Commercial any time. Salerno hadn’t actually occurred to me until we started chatting with the Bonanza guys – then it all just seemed to fall into place. You have to bank the wins when you can.

pg
PG
EGJB

Longest trip report EVER! I feel I’ve flown every minute with you!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

It was great to meet both of you, PG, and I never realised (in all the running around) that you had just done this amazing trip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message