I have a small Nike backpack:

- kneeboard with ipad mini
- a small folder with my licence, medical, business cards
- a small plastic box with the data cards, USB sticks
- a folder with European VFR charts and IFR enroute charts
- sunglasses, two pens, a small paper notepad
- airplane and hangar keys
- 4 spare AA batteries
In case i stay overnight there’s still room for another t-shirt, fresh underwear and my toothbrush, toiletry, iphone charger

All the flightbags i had over the years ended in the basement, full of stuff i never need … I started to hate heavy luggage

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 31 Dec 09:11

I don’t take a flightbag any more. I have a small briefcase that I use for work. aircraft key, licence, laptop all go in there along with iPad. If your headsets stay on the plane I think that there is little you need to move back and forth these days.

Flightbags were built for headsets and Jepp Airway Manual folders.

If you are using rented aircraft (or changing aircraft a lot) it is a different story of course.

Last Edited by JasonC at 31 Dec 09:52
EGTK Oxford

Another vote for Brightline bags. Got one for GA and one for work – gets lots of comments!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

For the documents, tools and accessories staying in the plane, I have a laptop briefcase and seat pockets. Everything else usually goes into this bag (bought in Russia for 1/2 of the usual price of such bags in Europe):

I also have a classical pilot case adapted for dual purpose:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I just switched to the Jepessen Caiptains Flight bag, the biggest one from Jepessen. I chose it because in addition to my Flight gear I am able to carry five days of clothes and a laptop in the center section and thus reducing the amount of bags carried on my usual trips down to one or two. If not full of clothes, the center section holds plenty of bureaucracy or tools I need from time to time. Usually it stays at the airport or in the car, when instructing or on daytrips. Then I can grab all I need with a hand: The headset and the kneeboard containing map, licenses, pilot log, navimat, course triangle, pens and paper.

Last Edited by mh at 31 Dec 13:12
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Hi Peter_Mundy/chrisparker

I looked for the Brightline B17 but could only find a B7 or B18??

Thanks.

Stapleford, United Kingdom

I have a “traditional” leather pilot case with too much stuff. OTOH, when you don’t have your own aircraft you need to bring a lot.

• Jepp binder (small) with a selection of important text pages and plates, navigation log forms, blank paper, chart protectors, checklists…
  • Android tablet with various flight software
  • Wall outlet charger for said tablet
  • Cigarette lighter charger for said tablet
  • Yoke mount for said tablet
  • Personal logbook
  • Flight license
  • Kneeboard
  • Circular slide rule
  • Pocket calculator
  • Jepp enroute chart plotter
  • Metric scale chart plotter
  • Jepp “organiser” for plates etc. needed in flight
  • Special flying spectacles
  • Headset
  • Flashlight
  • Headlamp
  • Spare batteries for flashlight and headlamp
  • 1:500 000 charts for the southern half of Sweden.
  • One 1:250 000 chart for the area around my home base.
  • One Jeppesen enroute chart
  • Oxymeter
  • Draining cup
  • Leatherman multitool
  • Barf bags
  • Hi-viz vest
  • Set of tie-down ropes
  • Spare pens
Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 31 Dec 18:03
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was having the exact thought today. I started off with an old school flight suitcase thingy (not with a cat modification I should add!) then migrated onto a converted laptop bag that had headsets in one side and my stuff in the other, but now I leave my headsets in the plane, I’m wondering what to get next to save me lugging the almost empty laptop bag around.

All I need is enough space for the ipad mini, A5 knee board, physical chart. licence, log book and that’s about it. Maybe a headset carrier may fit that in. I will try!

JWL
Booker EGTB

Sorry – wrong number. I have a B7 with an optional 5" extension

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

That’s how i ended wih the backpack … All the stuff you really need fits (headsets etc stay in plane) … and the backpack has one big advantage: free hands when you open the hangar, especially in the winter …

Sign in to add your message