Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your flight bag, and what is in it?

That’s how i ended wih the backpack …

Same here, a backpack is all I use. One that is originally intended for notebook Computers and protects it’s contents a little more than the soft type used for hiking. It’s big enough for everything I need including my small micro four thirds camera. Even the necessary miniumum equipment for an unforeseen night stop fits inside.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I suspect the answer to this depends largely on if you are the only one who flies the aircraft, or if you share it with others.

If you use it exclusively, then most of your stuff stays in the aircraft, and you don’t have much to bring back and forth.
If others use it too, then everything that is yours, needs to come with you.

For what it’s worth, I use one of these

It was reasonably cheap (less than €30) and is pretty spacious.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

1st of all happy new year to all of you

thanks for all the answers! i do see the point that it depends if it is a shared plane or not
But how do you handle it when you fly away to a other airfield for a stay! what do you take out and leave in the plane (here comes again the question how to carry it!)

fly2000

That’s how i ended wih the backpack … All the stuff you really need fits (headsets etc stay in plane) … and the backpack has one big advantage: free hands when you open the hangar, especially in the winter …

I’ve gone backpack too. Ellehammer which I got free when a UK grocery store (Tesco) was running a points promotion. I love it, it has 3 compartments:

Small : licence, passport, airport airside pass
Medium: hand held radio, marker pens, aeroplane keys on a special ring
Large: has a separate padded pocket for iPad, kneeboard, chart hiviz, hat, gloves, headset if in the “other” aeroplane
Outside pockets: PLB, torch and knife/utility tool.

[quoted text fixed]

Oxford and Bidford

i do see the point that it depends if it is a shared plane or not
But how do you handle it when you fly away to a other airfield for a stay! what do you take out and leave in the plane (here comes again the question how to carry it!)

When on a trip, the flight bag remains in the airplane of course. You don’t need all the stuff that’s in there. Only excepetions: ipad (need that for weather, flightplanning, emails, etc) and camera. I switch those two to the “normal” travel bag before leaving the plane.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jan 07:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What Justine and I have found is that when doing longer trips, one needs to get the packing sorted out. One packs three bags:

• what stays in the plane
  • what goes with you to the hotel on a longer stay
  • what goes with you to the hotel for just an overnight stay

The last two can be merged, depending…

Otherwise you end up carrying way too much stuff.

The whole “aviation kit bag” requirement depends on the situation. The most difficult case is when you are renting; then you need to carry everything and have to leave the plane empty afterwards. But if you are on a trip, say a few days, the situation becomes just like an owned plane.

Today’s preflight is (for most people) wholly electronic so the traditional flight bags have little use. You just need something for a headset(s) and some IT gear, and that’s only if you are renting. I actually don’t think the pilot shops sell anywhere near as many of the old flight bags as they used to say 10-15 years ago. Many “modern” people live their whole life with an Iphone, and many pilots don’t carry more than an Ipad. Personally I need to do a lot more complicated stuff (like writing proper emails ) so I still have to carry a laptop on any trip longer than a couple of nights.

I also find one cannot beat a backpack. It protects your back when carrying stuff. But it isn’t good for things which get damaged easily e.g. headsets.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I carry a small black bag with my passport, wallet (contains DL & PL), cardkeys for various airfields, car keys, plane keys, dongles, a Swiss Army knife, a baby Glock 9mm, a handheld radio, cellphone, pens, LED thumb-light (white/red), Samsung Galaxy S2 EFB/Garmin Pilot, and logbook. I keep my headset and kneeboard in the plane at all times. When traveling, I take the small black bag with me, but leave the gun in the plane (unless in a CCW state, then I carry it).

Last Edited by USFlyer at 04 Jan 18:45

I carry a small black bag with my passport, wallet (contains DL & PL), cardkeys for various airfields, car keys, plane keys, dongles, a Swiss Army knife, a baby Glock 9mm, a handheld radio, cellphone, pens, LED thumb-light (white/red), Samsung Galaxy S2 EFB/Garmin Pilot, and logbook. I keep my headset and kneeboard in the plane at all times. When traveling, I take the small black bag with me, but leave the gun in the plane (unless in a CCW state, then I carry it).

I love the USA

BTW I didn’t think passport carriage was mandatory in the USA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

USFlyer wrote:

a baby Glock 9mm

Obviously a must for any serious pilot.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter, as you suggest there is no need to have a passport within US borders, unless you have no other form of photo ID.

My European wife has had quite a learning experience since September with ‘critters’, i.e. coyotes, rattlesnakes, and aggressive, hissing raccoons… and this is in our manicured suburban garden never mind camping under the wing of your plane on some empty desert airport ramp. The good news is no bears have been reported

I use the word critter because my wife asked me last night what that word means, in relation to three hungry coyotes in the neighbor’s back garden. They like dogs and cats, and not to cuddle with.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jan 19:29
Sign in to add your message