Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your flight bag, and what is in it?

I love it. These lists are all very European! It is unlikely that you will be stranded in the woods or at a remote airport… so much technology and so little survival kit.

In addition to any of the widgets mentioned above (according to your taste), as a Canadian I never fly without:

- A lighter to make a fire
- A leatherman
- Some sort of beacon (e.g. a SPOT gps tracker, or an EPIRB). This is addition to an ELT (which are required in Canada).

Depending on the season, I also often pack a 1 lb sleeping bag which fits in a tiny stuff sack. On more than one occasion I have slept on the floor/sofa in the airfield hut after being weathered in. All very different than Europe…

There is nothing like having a nice day at a remote lake and then finding that the floatplane doesn’t want to start and dusk is fast approaching…

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I have a backpack too.

Sunglasses (with correct strength so I can see the outside and the instruments ), Nexus 7, USB-batteries, cables , USB chargers (220v and 12V), sometimes a Chromebook, Licenses, ID card, maps, airport plates, log books, water bottle, sometimes a Thermos with coffee, Headset, way too many pens and pencils which maybe only 2-3 works, kneeboard, old half eaten chocolate plates from previous flights, CRP-1, keys which I no longer remember where they go to but don’t want to discard in case I suddenly should remember.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Dimme wrote:

MedEwok wrote:

What else would I eventually need?

A screwdriver :D It saved me.

Yes. I figured that a few weeks ago when I was touring with an airplane with a malfunction battery. Finding ground power at random airfields is one thing. Finding someone with a screw driver (to open the cover over the external power inlet) a different thing altogether!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

Flight bag with:

Some VFR and IFR enroute charts
Pens
Protractor with ruler
Small Jepp manual binder with diverse plates and paperwork
Chart organiser
Log book
A5 kneeboard
Android tablet
RAM mount for tablet
Power bank
Cigarette plug USB charger w/ heavy duty cable
Barf bags
Seasickness pills (for pax…)
Bifocal glasses
Hi-viz vest
Airfield keys
Fuel tester

I should check better before I write… Also

Electric torch
Headlight
Spare batteries
A Leatherman

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Canuck wrote:

I love it. These lists are all very European! It is unlikely that you will be stranded in the woods or at a remote airport… so much technology and so little survival kit.

In northern Scandinavia there is quite a lot of wilderness. My club has survival/emergency packs you can take if you need. Also, the aircraft have PLB’s in addition to the ELT’s.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Maybe I should answer what is in my flight bag too, since I posted this question.

For when I’m flying locally, e.g. I’m not going to big airports that require me to pass security, I carry the following items:

• VFR charts
  • VACs / ACs
  • Briefing pack (W&B, PLOG, NOTAMs, Weather, etc…)
  • Kneeboard, pen & paper
  • Wristwatch (I don’t like wearing one otherwise)
  • Sunglasses
  • Light torch
  • Headset
  • Portable VHF Radio
  • Protractor, ruler, CRP-5
  • Portable calculator
  • PCAS
  • PilotAware
  • 2 x iPad Mini 2
  • Yoke RAM mount
  • 2 x Garmin VIRB
  • Camera mounts
  • Loads of AA batteries
  • USB Power Bank
  • 12V to USB charger
  • Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
  • Barf bags
  • Used to have an electrical CO detector but I broke it
  • Electrical tape
  • Flat & Phillips screwdrivers
  • Magnesium firesteel
  • Foldable knife
  • Pilot paperwork (Logbook, licence, medical, etc…)
  • Aircraft paperwork (insurance, CoA, etc…)

And when applicable if I’m flying to a remote airport:

• Emergency pack
  • Life jackets
  • Hi-viz jackets
  • Tiedowns
  • Chokes
  • Sunscreen (for the windshield)

Now if that remote airport has security and I need to pass through it to get back to the aircraft, I take one extra bag that I take with me out of the aircraft and in there I put stuff like pilot paperwork, aircraft paperwork, stuff required for planning of the next flight, and anything else I might need off-airport.

ESME, ESMS

On trips away I normally carry a small backpack, with the pilot papers and the usual stuff for an overnight stay (even if it is a day trip only) plus a backup phone and, on longer trips, an x230-i7 laptop. No “flight bag” as such but I carry a plastic box with a tablet (two actually; I am currently testing a 2nd one in parallel) and printouts of enroute charts, plog and terminal charts.

Everything else lives permanently in the plane.

I did look around for a flight bag type of product, right size for A4 sheets and about 10cm thick, but found nothing other than some fancy leather hipster-style stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

Maybe I should answer what is in my flight bag too, since I posted this question.

For when I’m flying locally, e.g. I’m not going to big airports that require me to pass security, I carry the following items:

Wow, what are you flying -a Gulfstream? Can you still load fuel within the W&B?

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Aug 21:40
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Wow, what are you flying -a Gulfstream? Can you still load fuel within the W&B?

My bag weights no more than a couple of kg.

ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

I did look around for a flight bag type of product, right size for A4 sheets and about 10cm thick, but found nothing other than some fancy leather hipster-style stuff

I got myself one of these recently. The theming sort of fits aviation, I thought.

https://www.bag-to-life.com/taschen/damen/49/co-pilot-bag

(Just realized when I look at the link they categorize this as for “Damen”, i.e. “Ladies”. Well…)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message