Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

kwlf wrote:

Personally I think the biggest long-term risk of the vaccine would be that it might trigger some kind of autoimmune reaction

Yes. My wife has MS, and is therefore not likely to get any vaccine at all, not in several years at least. Covid itself may trigger MS outbreaks, as do common flu. She takes flu vaccine each year. But vaccine against fly is true and tested (with MS) for many years. Her best protection is probably that I take the vaccine. This leaves me with little choice, if I want to stay happily married

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Apparently the British government already expects a high number of vaccination complications.
https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:506291-2020:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0
local copy

Berlin, Germany

Sounds like normal due diligence i.e. CYA.

If there were complications, the govt would get crucified by the opposition for not having a system to handle it.

Exactly the same as this is CYA for a GA plane hitting a govt operated drone outside of a notified DA/RA.

The contract is worth £1.5M. That will cover roughly 1.5M lines of PHP, or 15M lines of Java, in which there will be a bug every 10 lines – judging from past history of govt commissioned IT projects, which the contractor prices on the basis that the spec is inept and the money will be made on fixing the bugs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Analysis of Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) Titers of Recovered COVID-19 Patients

Those vaccinated with MMR may be better protected against COVID-19

Subject to peer review etc, but interesting…

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 23 Nov 00:54

Not taking an available vaccine because one fears the risk of side effects (w/o any special indication before) is like not wearing a seatbelt because one fears it could complicate the rescue in case of an accident.

Yes, it’s absolutely true: There have been cases where the seatbelt was in the way of quickly getting out of the wreck. But in the grand scheme of things it has saved so many more lives than it has harmed!

Germany

Pilot-H wrote:

Those vaccinated with MMR may be better protected against COVID-19

The study looked at COVID patients who have been vaccinated against Mumps*. For those patients they compared their Mumps.Titer (i.e. measure for the number of antibodies in the blood) with the severity of the acute phase of the Covid episode.
They figured out that there seems to be a strong negative correlation: Patients with severe Covid symptoms had lower Mumps Titers in the blood than patient with mild symptoms. Actually – and interestingly – the patients with the most severe Covid symptoms (ICU patients on ventilation for some time) had mumps titer levels on the extremely low end of the range of what you would expect in vaccinated people.

Therefore the straight forward explanation of the observations would be that people with a generally good immune system have less sever Covid symptoms while people with a generally not so good immune system (up to a point that mumps vaccinations are barely effective) have more severe symptoms. Not that surprising …

*and measles and rubella but for these two they didn’t find any correlation

Germany

Yes this is very possible.

As an explanation of why some countries have done better than others (for which there is not yet a convincing explanation) there has also been a suggestion that those countries which have had an “easy” flu season in the last year or two have done worse with CV19. This is apparently the case in Europe and specifically for the UK and Sweden. I have not checked it but it would make perfect sense.

I have seen a long (30 min) video from an ex Pfizer scientist which makes various very plausible points (like the above), as well as some clearly duff points (that social distancing does nothing at all). It was apparently removed from FB… I can see why it was removed – lots of people are stupid enough to take the latter point at face value (and millions already do exactly that). One day some good research will be done on this.

The UK is going to let people mix to a fairly high degree over xmas. The govt was advised that people are going to do it anyway and once that starts it will go out of control. So we will see a big hike in infections in Dec and January. Oh well… what is special about xmas?? The shops are shut, you can’t get anything done, it rains the whole time

Administrator

The Oxford University / AstraZeneca vaccine has shown good interim phase III efficacy.

The optimum dosing regimen (approx. 90% effective) appears to be a small dose followed by a larger dose a couple of weeks later.

This is pretty good news, when you consider the much lower cost and much simpler storage requirements compared to the Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine.

EGLM & EGTN

LeSving wrote:

A vaccine on the other hand, is not something you can’t undo. Once you have set it, any eventual ill side effects will be with you for the rest of your life, 24/7

Well, no.

I recently had the flu vaccine, and it had a side effect: I felt slightly under the weather for about 12 hours (but no so severe that I couldn’t cycle home 20km afterwards).

Hardly life changing, hardly something with me 24/7 for the rest of my life. Not all side effects are long duration. In all probability, nearly all side effects are short duration.

Andreas IOM

This is a novel approach

Administrator
Sign in to add your message