Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I‘m testing FF now for a month with the Performance Plus subscription, but when trying to file a IR flightplan there is always only one route suggested. Regarding the manual there should be several like in the Autorouter. Is there any advice how to get the choice?

EDDS , Germany

Post the details and I’ll try myself.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder if the issue is that VP082 is world-unique (or perhaps Europe-unique) while “Sierra” cannot be a database item because the southern VRP for any airport is likely to be called Sierra or some such.

The VPnnn waypoints are Jeppesen-generated and change every monthly cycle. That is, VP082 could be Sierra for one airport one month and Whiskey for a different airport a half-continent away the next. I struggled with this on my Avidyne when they weren’t on the map since they can only be entered in a FPL using the waypoint ID. Now both the name and the waypoint ID are on the map.

LSZK, Switzerland

always only one route suggested

FWIW, I have just tried EGKA-LIPQ on the web version of FF (I don’t have a modern Ipad) and initially it said it cannot find any routes, so I did Try Again and it found several

I don’t know if this is my imagination but I specified 15000ft and they have indeed been routed for 15000. This didn’t used to work before.

However if I click on the first one I get this

which is strange because it was already done for 15000. This issue was there previously.

If I specify 17000 I do get just one option

There is still much work to do because EGKA-LIPV produces two routes (on the 3rd try this time) but both with massive VFR legs of more than half the total distance

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just done it on the iPad version and get another route which seems sensible.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 03 May 13:53
Fly safely

Can you try for 17000, David?

At 15k you are below the MEA around there, hence that final dogleg.

Strange that the web version produces a different result! It could be aircraft performance, I guess. But they should both be using the same Aviation Cloud routing server.

Administrator

Aircraft type, performance, and ICAO equipment setup can also change the results that you would be receiving via the route advisor. Dave, you can also reach out to [email protected] and we can assist with these types of routing issues.

I myself am not an expert and will not pretend to be which I’m sure everyone can appreciate :)

- Josh

Last Edited by Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight at 03 May 14:59
ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Peter, at 17000.

Josh, I think it is Peter who has more of an issue than I do.

Fly safely

Interesting, David, that the other two also feature the huge VFR legs, from from RLP and one from VATRI. That is something which the algorithm should not generate.

Administrator

But it also give a more sensible solution. The devil could be in the detail as Josh says.

Fly safely
Sign in to add your message