Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is ICAO German Proficiency mandatory if you have a BZF?

Frans wrote:

You can even fly a D-reg inside Germany without a BZF, as long as “English” is registered in your EASA license and you don’t speak German on the radios.

But then why is there a BZF I and BZF E?

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

But then why is there a BZF I and BZF E?

For German pilots who either want to run english radio comm too (=BZF1, which includes the “German language only” BZF2) or don’t speak German and thus “only” get the English RT licence (BZF E).

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

That was my understanding but the claim was that one can fly D-reg inside Germany with just an EASA license without BZF. The only PPL Germany currently issues is an EASA license.

EDQH, Germany

That was my understanding but the claim was that one can fly D-reg inside Germany with just an EASA license without BZF.

My wild guess is that was meant for a non-German licence which includes a RT licence and ELP4 or higher. You then obviously can do English RT…

Marcel wrote:

My wild guess is that was meant for a non-German licence which includes a RT licence and ELP4 or higher. You then obviously can do English RT…
Exactly. Apologies for any misunderstandings. I see the “BZF” as a separate paper from the Bundesnetzagentur. The German EASA licenses are issued by the LBA (ATPL, CPL, PPL-IR) or the local Bezirksregierung (LAPL, PPL), but they include indeed the radio (BZF) privileges. Since 2017, it is even not necessary anymore to obtain the BZF as a separate paper, as German pilots have now a choice between a radio skill test at the Bundesnetzagentur or at the competent CAA office (after the theoretical exams), both in German and/or English. If you perform the radio test at the CAA directly, you only get the RT skills registered in the EASA license, but you don’t get a separate BZF paper anymore.

For foreigners, how want to obtain German RT privileges, there is only one way to get it: Obtaining the BZF directly at the Bundesnetzagentur. As English RT is automatically recognized, you only have to do a practical radio skill test in German and you’ll get the full BZF1 or (in case your license includes IR-ratings) an AZF. And because German is only used for VFR, you don’t have an IFR part at all.
Last Edited by Frans at 07 Nov 08:26
Switzerland

However, regulating foreign aircraft radios and foreign licenses? I can’t see how that works, sorry…

Many have tried to explain this – let me have another go:

• The BZF does not regulate foreign aircraft radio stations.
  • The BZF also does not regulate foreign pilot licenses.
  • The BZF has nothing to do with the LBA/German CAA, as has been pointed out (and subsequently ignored) multiple times on the previous pages here.

And now most importantly and to really make it crystal clear: In order to participate in aeronautical radio telephony in the Federal Republic of Germany using the German language, you need to have a radio telephony license that qualifies you to do so. If you read the sentence carefully, you will see this has nothing to do whatsoever with what aeroplane you are flying, where that aeroplane is registered, or – in fact – if you are flying at all. One possible license would be the BZF – but any other that is recognized as an “equivalent” will do the job. An English language-equivalent e.g. from the FAA most likely will not do not the job.

Years ago, I had asked the Bundesnetzagentur about the specific scenario of a foreign license holder who is fluent in German. Of course, they confirmed what I and others wrote above. Please don’t make me dig out those old emails somewhere.

Do I love that rule? No.
Is it enforced? Apparently not so much.
Is it going to go away just because I repeatedly write into an online forum how much I dislike it? No.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

We are going in circles here, there are Ofcom, FCC or ITU regulations…these are not mutually recognised by Bundesnetzagentur?

AFAIK,OFCOM FRTOL & FCC RTOC have nothing to do with aircraft or pilot licenses issued by FAA & CAA…I am sure their papers are mandatatory to operate radios in some scenarios,

I doubt Bundesnetzagentur is more special than FCC? why D-reg aircrafts or LBA-PPL pilots don’t have FCC or FRTOL papers?

The real question is this (it was asked earlier)

I’m 100% certain that there are international conventions waiving any requirements on needing national radio licenses in international air traffic – otherwise the situation would be impossible. Are you saying that these conventions are limited to use of the English language?

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Nov 19:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, the Bundesnetzagentur is as special as, for example, the FCC: They regulate the use of radio communication in their territory. I tried explaining you the situation, same as others. What is the point you try to make? I doubt anyone of us is a big fan of it, nor am I aware of a enforcement of these rules. So honestly, it is about take it or leave it – regulators make the rules, and that’s it – i doubt we will change that.

They regulate the use of radio communication in their territory

Including N-registered aircraft? again that aircraft radio carries US flag, US soil and US territory with it, I have this paper from FCC RTOC that says I can operate radio internationally, I can do that in English, French and German…as there are no restrictions there (except those imagined in pilot forums)

No need for any other papers, the FCC paper is more than enough to visit French and German airfields. Besides, FCC does not accept BZF to operate N-reg radios anyway, the question of getting one is moot: it’s as useless as…

Where I agree: one can’t speak German in the radios that sits in German airfield towers or in D-reg aircraft without holding German BZF, I have zero interest in doing that

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Nov 22:01

Sorry if this feel like a sensitive subject to some airfields or pilots but don’t lose faith there are better ways to have an easy legally binding requirement for German BZF in German only airfields: simply mandate German BZF in aerodromes conditions of use: ask DFS to add it to AIP AD entry? or require it during PPR? it’s not difficult to legally apply it and enforce it if it’s in aerodrome licencing rules

Otherwise, this becomes an imagined rule that many “foreign people” tend to ignore because it does not apply to them or their aircraft

I think it’s better than convincing FCC to add “no German” in special conditions when they issue US RTOC papers, or convince Bundesnetzagentur to leave ITU convention…maybe ask German LBA to quit ICAO or EASA if everything fails

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Nov 22:08
Sign in to add your message