Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are old Garmin GNS boxes holding their prices so well?

Peter wrote:

This is all stuff which is getting chucked out as “glass” goes in.

There’s actually some companies globally that make a business out of “used avionics pricing arbitrage”: Buying non 8.33 radios in Europe and selling them in the US, Mode-S transponders to Europe (at least until recently), ADFs to Latam, etc.

Germany

I don’t think this is happening much though in Europe because most used avionics don’t have the paperwork, and almost nobody here knows about the great EASA concession mentioned above, so everybody thinks you need an EASA-1 form for all used avionics, and the industry likes that situation to continue. Also very few people know they can sell used avionics on US Ebay, and most would not know how to ship something to the US. And it is hard to sell something in the US, from Europe, unless you are a good trusted seller, because American buyers have had their fingers burnt so often with European sellers (I have heard a fair few stories).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

dutch_flyer wrote:

I’m looking for a 430W or 530W to drop in as part of my improvement plan…

430W and 530W’s are stil quite expensive. The question is if it’s not better to spend a comparatively small sum more and get an up to date set

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

430W and 530W’s are stil quite expensive. The question is if it’s not better to spend a comparatively small sum more and get an up to date set

I agree – 750Xi and 650Xi would be great choice.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

While on the subject of Garmin boxes, does anybody know what the real current values of 530W and 430W are right now in Europe?

(I am thinking of upgrading to 750Xi/650Xi later this year).

Roughly 4k€ for a GNS430W and 6k€ for a 530W.

BTW, your profile is completely empty.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Roughly 4k€ for a GNS430W and 6k€ for a 530W.

With Form 1? Not sure I’ve seen a 430W for less than €6k but admittedly I may be looking in the wrong places.

EIMH, Ireland
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah yes, forgot about that. My 430 is giving a low battery warning which persists despite the battery being changed so am now in the repair/ 430W/ 440/ 650 debate with myself.

EIMH, Ireland

The problem with the 650/750 boxes is that the touchscreen is a right royal PITA to use in anything but perfectly still air. Two of our club planes (both 172s) have these things and I absolutely hate them.

Sign in to add your message