Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

A discussion on how to use the ADL for weather avoidance here: http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/2641-using-the-adl-120-for-weather-avoidance

The ADL weather radar shows the “reflectivity of the atmosphere”. It can’t be used to retrieve the cloud top heights.
But the color code will say something; i.e. clouds which are shown as green on the map will have less high tops than red.

This was yesterday near Groningen EHGG. We are on a avoidance heading (20 degrees to the left).

1 Our new battery powered ADL130:

Sebastian, I have a 12V socket on the pax seat in my 66 V35 (the time people where still smoking in the back.. )
How sensitive is the Antenna ? Would it be able to capture a signal on a side window?
If not how long is the antenna cable to get it wired to the front windshield?

Thank you

Last Edited by Vref at 01 May 18:02
EBST

Hi @Vref, I have the ADL in the back and have the antenna with a suction cup fixed on the side window. Signal strength is fine.

Android

The Android version of the ADLConnect app is nearly finished. It will take a moment for testing etc. but releasing that app is the next step.

vertical information

For some parts of Germany vertical radar information is available but there is no way to get that for a bigger area. So I have the plan to integrate IR data at some point.

antenna cable length

The standard antenna comes with a 1,8m cable and can be extended by an additional 2m cable to 3,8m.

antenna on side windows

In most cabins placing the antenna on a side window will also work. But try to put it as flat as possible. Those Garmin antenna suction mounts fit perfectly with the antenna but they put the antenna on the side. This will work but in some situations with the satellite being at the other side results might not be optimal.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian, I sent you PM via forum, let me know if you received it or I should send it directly to your e-mail (I’ve just noticed it’s been listed in your profile).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I can eventually show my installation (C182): the ADL120 is under the rear seats, connected to the rear 12v socket, and with the extra cable antenna (running under the carpeting), goes to the windshield.
We could add that the extra cable is quite thick (like a strong Ethernet cable but OK under the carpeting), while the last part (linked to the antenna) is quite thin and found its place naturally to go up to the glare shield.
Signal lenght is absolutely excellent and I didn’t loose anything with the extra cable.
To power on / off, I use the “12V CABIN” switch. Ready within 30 seconds I think.

What is vertical radar information ?

integrate IR data at some point

Excellent !!! When !?

Last thing: any collaboration with Achimba / tomjx to integrate the autorouter in sight ???

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 02 May 07:41

What is vertical radar information ?

Derived from some met weather radar stations in Germany only

EDxx, Germany

The ADL is the best peace of avionik you can put into an airplane!

EDAZ

I completely agree. A fantastic product! It really gives you peace of mind when you fly in IMC and a good overview of weather situation for entire route for a fraction of the cost of similar solutions and a very good ‘portable’ solution (ipad as display) if you don’t have space in your panel, or want to bring it with you if you fly different planes. If you fly serious IFR at distances it will be one of your best investments!

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB
Sign in to add your message