Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

An amazing product that you created there! And at a price point, where it is unbeatable and it is even certified for installation. That should be the role model for so many avionics!

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

@Sebastian_G, I think that the requirement for the combiner/baud rate converter on the IFDs might have been resolved. I received the following from Avidyne Engineering via their forum:

As of 10.2.4.1, the TX and RX for all of the RS232 ports can be configured independently. Prior to the fix, if the IFD was configured for Capstone Wx or Capstone Trfc+Wx (or the corresponding high speed versions) on the RX side of the port, then the IFD would inappropriately set the TX speed as well. In the event that you had something else configured on the TX side, the baud rate would likely not have been the correct speed.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

I received the following from Avidyne Engineering via their forum:

Yes I did observe that. Unfortunately they fixed a problem but from the ADL side it is a little step backwards. The limitation is that the ADL devices can not run the TX and RX of the external RS232 port at different baud rates. The “Aviation” input usually will run at 9600 baud and the Capstone output at 115200 baud (or 38400 but not used with the ADL).

So with the previous Avidyne bug you could by chance connect Aviation and Capstone to the same IFD RS232 port and it would just run. With the ADLRS232 you had to use RX and TX from different ports to make it work.

Now with the new IFD firmware you can use the RX and TX from the same port with the ADLRS232 but it will no longer work without the ADLRS232 any more. If we could place a wish it would be that the baud rates can be configured manually on the IFD or at least they could add an “Aviation HS” output which runs at 115200 baud…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

UARTs which can run different baud rates etc on TX and RX are extremely rare. I don’t think I have ever seen one. So I wonder how Avidyne implemented this. Maybe they use two UARTs for each serial port, or have done their own implementation in an FPGA?

With a software UART you can implement different baud rates but then you can’t run it all that fast, and 115k becomes problematic. There are various hacks but if you have a product which runs under an RTOS (multitasking) which an IFD box must be, you need a timer interrupt running at best part of 500kHz.

I design and sell serial converters in my day job, even with a 12/24V power input, but they are not “aviation certified” in any way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Understood now, Sebastian. I’ll push this from my side with Avidyne and see what they say. There are so many ADLs in Europe now that clean support should be an easy to implement marketing plus for them. They already have 2 selections for Capstone input: Capstone (38400) and Capstone HS (115200). So an Aviation HS output selection @ 115200 should be easy to add.

LSZK, Switzerland

Here are a couple wishes for future ADL development (but not knowing the effort or even possibility):
1) allow configuration of a filter on ADS-B traffic shown, specifically altitude.
- most aircraft visible today are not relevant for us ground feeders , being airliners at 20k+ and just clutter the screen and make the relevant aircraft more difficult to pick out.
2) include ATIS as well as METARs and TAFs
- not sure if there is a source for this, but would be very useful further out than freq reception

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

2) include ATIS as well as METARs and TAFs
- not sure if there is a source for this, but would be very useful further out than freq reception

Foreflight does it, but one needs D-ATIS for that, which is available at much fewer airports than plain (voice only) ATIS.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 16 Mar 14:33
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Correct.

Some airports have ATIS available via telephone too, but I’m not aware of any published in a text form similar to METAR and TAF and NOTAM. Perhaps such (other than D-ATIS) doesn’t exist.

Does ForeFlight include D-ATIS for Europe, where it exists? I seem to recall that it only has US coverage for that. In any case, getting D-ATIS via ForeFlight will only work when it has a usable mobile data connection, not reliable during flight.

Last Edited by chflyer at 16 Mar 14:49
LSZK, Switzerland

Here comes the video with some details on the ADL integration with the IFD540 and EX5000:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Many thanks Sebastian for the very instructive video.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message