Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zell am See LOWZ

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We want to see a photo of your nice and greasy Wiener Schnitzel!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Uhm…. Do we?

A few more pics

The forecasts

EGKK 111100Z 1112/1218 27010KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 1121/1124 21009KT BECMG 1205/1208 BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 1206/1213 7000 RA BKN009 BECMG 1211/1214 FEW014 SCT018
LOWS 111115Z 1112/1212 34005KT 9999 FEW070 SCT300 TX26/1113Z TN17/1202Z TEMPO 1112/1117 03008KT BECMG 1117/1119 15005KT CAVOK BECMG 1207/1209 30006KT 9999 FEW060 SCT140
EDDM 111100Z 1112/1218 27007KT CAVOK

are better for the UK than expected (usually the case) and if the above is still there tomorrow we won’t hurry to fly back too early in the morning. OTOH I am always happier to fly earlier because you get less convective activity…

1200Z tomorrow

My plan is to depart the way we arrived, climbing up that canyon and then turning NW at about FL100. A departure on 08 from LOWZ looks “interesting”…

Administrator

There is a mega downpour here now, and sure enough, here is the sferics image

and the radar

Administrator

A view from the north end of the lake

If you depart on 08 and want to fly to the north, you turn left and end up flying towards the camera in the above pic.

Administrator

I flew to LOWZ around 11 am today from Landshut (EDML, 50 miles northeast of Munich). According to my plan I flew south in 8000 feet to intercept a 10 miles final for runway 08 (or 26). A short time before I reached the valley I observed wind of almost 30 knots from the NE and seconds later I flew into such strong turbulence that it scared the sxxx out of me. …

I then climbed to 10.000 feet to get out of the turbulence and followed the valley while listening to the LOWZ radio. Wind was completely calm on the ground, so I flew back to a 12 miles final and descended straight down into the valley. Below 5000 feet there was almost no wind.

Missed Peter who was climbing the mountains somewhere, so I just stayed for a lunch and a coke before I flew back.

It was pretty hot on the ground when I left and with almost full tanks climb rate was not very spectacular. Left the pattern to the north to climb towards Munich and for some minutes flew through some strong thermal up and downdrafts. It was very hazy, the plane was shaking and yawing, not really a fun flight.

@ Achim: Here’s a picture that proves that there’s no real mountains between Bavaria and LOWZ ;-) That’s at 8000 feet, looking north twds Germany.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Jul 17:49

Very sorry to have missed you, Flyer59! We got up 7am local to get onto the trip to the dams but it took another couple of hours longer due to the party (40 people) moving extremely slowly, and getting an extremely detailed briefing at every step. And that was the German party… the English language version was an hour later but not necessary.

Turbulence is strange stuff. Sometimes you get it, sometimes not. I have flown over the Pyrenees with 40kt wind, FL140 so about 5k above the terrain, and there was nothing. Yesterday we had 20kt wind across the Alps which should have produced a lot of turbulence especially as we descended into the canyon, but there was only a tiny bit.

Administrator

A final few pics…

Nice weather on the day of departure, allowing a climb straight up through the canyon via which we arrived

Three very strange machines

FL110 now

Reading Flyer59’s book which he left for us at the airport desk

The clouds cleared up over Germany

The famous bend in the river Rhine

A long DCT to Brussels

and a longer still one to Koksy

The bad weather over the UK was apparent from about 200nm away

Once away from LOWZ, this was the only plane we saw on the whole flight

The rest of the flight was in IMC and light rain all the way, in about +3C so no risk of icing. It was clear from the wx data that there were no embedded TS. We had on average 20kt of headwind, increasing to 30kt at the UK end.

The wx at Shoreham was right on minima for the 20 GPS approach (800ft) and with a strong gusting wind up to about 30kt, 30deg off the runway. The airport was dead and we were one of just two arrivals that day, the other being a PC12

Landing was with 31.1 USG – enough for nearly 3 hours in cruise.

Achim’s amazing weather facility over the Telegram messaging app was tested pretty well on this flight. Most of the time it didn’t work (as expected, internet via 3G/4G should not work at all up there) but it worked often enough to be entirely useful. These are some screenshots from the phone

Radar

IR

I have a “fairly not too bad” video but it has been resisting my attempts to compress it to a size which will upload to Vimeo, on my crappy home ADSL, in less than a couple of days But it is uploading now…

Administrator

A rather bumpy video

Administrator
Sign in to add your message