Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR / MFDVFR / Foreflight Mobile

Just got this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EasyVFR is a much better product than this Jepp one. It’ll be a long time before I forget that when I used Jepp data in my EFIS it told me that Denham was in class G airspace!

Forever learning
EGTB

I am going to take the free trial and see how it goes for those OCAS IFR flights.

EGTK Oxford

So I just downloaded and tried this product on a few short flights. Now I don’t do a lot of VFR flight in the UK so I look for good, easy to use applications that help me do this. I find the UK airspace to be very messy and and the ATC system for VFF to be very disjointed.

Overall, I think that the Jepp product is excellent. I do not like SkyDoemon, I think it is too complex and cartoon-like for me. JeppFD VFR looks professional and is easy to use straight away.

I was prepared to be disappointed but I like it.

EGTK Oxford

I tested my 6 month trial version today also.

It certainly works. The display of the little aircraft symbol looked a bit strange, pointing seemingly north while the map was rotated track-up. Maybe there is something in the config.

It is certainly very adequate for keeping out of controlled airspace.

Administrator

I did have it hang at one point today and adjusting brightness in the app seems to have odd effects on the rest of the iPad.

EGTK Oxford

Just got this:

I still have the 6 month trial from the Shoreham presentation, so I updated it, and yes it seems to work.

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Mar 19:33
Administrator

My problem with it is price. Charging €350 something for all of Europe then $50 for all of the US seems silly.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, but as you know, prices in GA are determined mainly by what people are ready to pay. In the US, where paper costs cost very little and there is a lot of competetion on the tablet app market, one couldn’t charge much more for it. In Europe, things are different. 350€ is not so much more than a Skydemon sub plus a german VFR AIP sub. Plus it gives pilots "VAC"s for all airfields, all in the same format. That’s why they (think they) can charge so much.

But I agree; as long as coverage is so dismal, it is way too much money.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting. I didn’t realise you got the German VFR AIP in there, and the other stuff. To many, that will support the price, especially in Germany which is Jepp’s home turf.

Is the coverage still dismal – bearing in mind how few VFR pilots fly very far? Even Skydemon (looking at their website today) doesn’t cover Croatia and Greece. I would have thought Jepp now have at least 90% of the European GA population covered. Admittedly to some of us it will look as artificial as the cellular companies’ claim of 3G covering 95% of the population (easily done, while providing almost no coverage in the countryside) but as I say most pilots don’t fly outside their own country or its immediate and “comfortable” neighbour.

Personally, I fly with raster maps and have been for over 10 years, and it does me fine, and it costs a lot less, and I have all of Europe including Greece on it. But in marketing terms that is not where the future lies

I think the JeppFD maps are a lot clearer than Skydemon’s, and the relative simplicity of the program is very good.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message