Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

Being part Corsican, I would heartily recommend it, but not quite at the right skill level to get out there by GA at least this time

If you are interested in Corsica, my relative knows the club at Bastia-Poretta quite well so let me know. Having said that, Calvi is prettier (although not sure about AVGAS) and it is easier to access the town from Ajaccio Airport than Bastia or Figari. Solenzara is right on the beach, but tends to only allow Mirage 2000’s, Rafale’s and Transalls in. Sounds like you may go northern in any event.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Yes – the avgas situation will need to be checked. I haven’t looked into this yet so any actual information would be really appreciated.

Last time I got near Corsica was as an alternate on a flight to Sardinia, and it turned out that most of the airports there didn’t have avgas despite saying they had. There were some temporary shortages. I think Bastia was OK. Sardinia was worse, with only Caglieri LIEE having it, but I would expect Italy to require more due diligence in this department anyway.

From Navbox Pro airport data:

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Jun 11:13
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bastia and Ajaccio would definitely have it as they have PA28’s flying out of there. Calvi is mainly used for summer season commercial flights and military transports as the Foreign Legion’s 2nd para regiment is based there – I do not recall seeing any GA planes based there so avgas availability would need to be checked for sure (and then triple checked, it being Corsica). Calvi is very pretty and depending on budget, there is a beautiful but pricy hotel near by, La Signoria (I honeymooned there, then took my wife up to the village in the moutains which was pretty much going from 5 stars to no stars but we are still married, despite me taking up flying.. so far). Calvi town is very pleasant.

Apart from Avgas, if you let me know any specific points you wish to confirm, I can check them out and eventually should be able to put you in touch with the right people direct, depending on the airport.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

It would be ace if you could check out Calvi, CKN Obviously you can’t check it 3 months ahead but just to get an idea would be good. Pricing for landing and parking would also be interesting.

Bastia and Ajaccio would definitely have it as they have PA28’s flying out of there.

You know this, I am sure, but they might have their own private avgas or even mogas which they can’t sell. That’s the case in a lot of places in S. Europe, especially Greece. And Italy…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

www.navigeo.org/lfkc mentions a 22,- € landing fee, but says nothing about parking. Further info:

CB must stand for “cheque bancaire” I suppose, not what a pilot thinks first of… a circuit breaker.

And a visitor’s comment mentions 25 € for landing plus two days’ parking but that was in 2010.

Interestingly, the place allows microlights, though PPR with a written procedure, fax or e-mail.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The last time I went to Calvi was in summer 2012. Avgas was available (a BP tank truck came along upon request to the ATC) but I don’t remember the exact amount of the landing fee. I plan to go there on June 22nd for a proficiency check with my instructor. I’ll keep you posted with the latest news.

LFNR

CB must stand for “cheque bancaire” I suppose,

CB means Carte Bancaire http://www.cartes-bancaires.com/spip.php?article97

EDxx, Germany

CB must stand for “cheque bancaire"

It stands for “carte bleu” or credit card. Too much fraud with cheques, imagine the possibilities with people literally flying out of a country and leaving cheques …

Alboule can perhaps get the latest; I will also speak with my relative and someone in Corsica. I noticed that there is a flying school (seems small) out of Calvi St Catherine as well.

One thing about Corsica is that once the summer season winds down around mid- or end-September, many things become unavailable.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

sorry nobbi, missed your post.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Well, you are (slightly) less demanding than Peter, then … (grin) But I am told EHTX is the most enjoyable field of all the Netherlands, and indeed one of the few worth of flying into.

I landed few times there when I was doing my training on TB20 purchased in Netherlands.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message