Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Friedrichshafen/AERO 2014

I’m planning on Thursday or Friday at this stage. Probably Friday as it appears more people of Euroga and P&F will be there. We’ll drive over from Zürich.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

They are sending out emails asking people to reconfirm their slots.

Loads of opportunity to lose emails in spam filters. Quite a % of people who registered for the Eurocontrol router never received their registration emails.

They also suggest that they will get Eurocontrol to impose the arrival slots, using a backward calculation to EOBT

Is that possible?

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 06:43
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jan: You can buy the ferry combi tickets on a vending machine.
Peter:
You land, taxi and park. A bus picked me up and stopped halfway on the way from apron 3 to the exit. You have to get out go through a check, board the same bus and get driven to the passport check.
Totally ridiculous.

United Kingdom

Thanks, mdoerr! Actually there was no need to ask, it is neatly explained here:
http://www.der-katamaran.de/de/presse/infos/1777.php

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Some strange recomendations:

4. Aircraft with an MTOM of 2 t or less are urgently recommended to
approach EDNY flying VFR. Flights to EDNY with a change of flight
rules (VFR to IFR and IFR to VFR) are recommended to request the
change of flight rules before reaching the following points:

5. Due to the expected large number of VFR flights from / to EDNY
in visual meteorological conditions (VMC), pilots must constantly
observe the airspace during instrument approach and / or instrument
departure (“see and avoid” principle). For this reason, there may be
cases where it is not possible to issue detailed traffic information
within the control zone (CTR).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Why strange? Airspace capacity is much lower when you’re IFR. Therefore cancel but still have them guide you to the final. Note that EDNY is managed by Swiss ATC and they are not allowed to perform visual separation under IFR (even when the crews agree) so the airspace capacity is very low.

On a nice day they get very busy. Perhaps a bit less busy during the week than on Sat/Sun, but on occasions I noticed the ATC (contracted in from Austria or Switzerland, according to rumour) was having a lot of trouble coping. Once, they kept telling me, on final, that I was close to stalling (them clearly not knowing IAS versus GS) and after landing the ATCO congratulated himself on having saved me from crashing.

Administrator

When I’m IFR I like to stay like that until landed. If I cancel then I have to switch to VFR reporting points and I’m a little bit lazy to learn them

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
When I’m IFR I like to stay like that until landed. If I cancel then I have to switch to VFR reporting points and I’m a little bit lazy to learn them

Maybe the 45 minutes of holding will give you enough time to rethink that position

I have never had a hold at EDNY and always went there IFR. However I haven’t been there (in the TB20) in 2012 and 2013.

Would they really give you a 45 min hold?

There is far less activity there these days, compared to say 2007.

When I’m IFR I like to stay like that until landed

Absolutely the best policy, otherwise the instant you cancel IFR ATC could send you to a VRP (which you can’t find) and wash their hands of you. And scream at you if you then end up where they don’t want you. And if you ask for a vector to it, they are not obliged to give it to you, because you are now “VFR”. The IR is worth doing just for this reason

Obviously, if you are on a 5 mile final and then they suggest you cancel IFR, that’s no problem because obviously you will be landing.

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 10:49
Administrator
Sign in to add your message