Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I have noticed a few times that TAFs are wrongly parsed for the textual description and color (low IFR, IFR, VFR, marginal VFR). If I recall correctly I’ve also seen this bug with METARs. In this example the BECMG after the CAVOK should be green or am I missing something? The text also wrongly states visibility of 0.4km for the period starting from 1400z.

Last Edited by PepperJo at 25 Mar 20:36
Switzerland

Ikv tried FF, and have to agree with Frans – FF is a long way from being as reliable and useful as Garmin Pilot for mixed IFR and VFR flights in Europe, and even further from EasyVFR for VFR.

The FF deal-breakers for me were its incomplete and unreliable nav data, and failure to transfer VFR flight plans to a GTN650 via Garmin Connext.

That said, GP was pretty useless for its first year or so in Europe, so FF will surely be worth a second look in due course.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

A big request, airspace de-cluttering, now available in 11.2! Yet to be tested but potentially a big step in the right direction.

Last Edited by TimR at 26 Mar 10:56
EGSX

Garmin Pilot deal-breaker for me is failure to transfer FPL to/from my Avidyne IFD’s…. which I can do with FF. So either product will have an advantage depending on the installed equipment.

Regarding reliability, FF has been absolutely rock-solid for me and has never failed.

LSZK, Switzerland

airspace de-cluttering, now available in 11.2!

Not yet, apparently, in the web version

Curiously, the settings for the above are

yet it appears to be doing a partial depiction of the airways (the “Low” selection shows their centrelines also.

It’s a long time since I last opened it (I have only the web version, due to not having a current model Ipad) and for my favourite test route I see some VFR charts

No luck finding IFR routes EGKA-LDLO however

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Croatia, Slovenia and Italy are supported with AIP charts. Great job!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

No luck finding IFR routes EGKA-LDLO however

The problem is obviously in web version which probably nobody uses because mobile versions are the ones which are important.

Here’s the route

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I still find a PC much nicer for preflight planning, than fumbling with a tablet or a phone.

Maybe in the US this is less relevant, with a lot of flights filed as a DCT. The preflight process in Europe is a lot more “interactive”. And getting any sort of hard copy out of an Ipad is a bit of a process, and with no hard copy you need a backup device.

The web version used to work for autorouting. No idea what happened today.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I managed to get valid auto-routing through the web app.

EGSX

with no hard copy you need a backup device

iPhone is backup for iPad

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message