Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

That is correct Peter. Still on our radar though.

Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Geez….,

why can’t they put a more European sounding voice on those videos. It’s just… not very clever…

And terms like YFR and ZFR, which simply don’t “exist” over here… so many Americanisms…

I wonder again: who is the team and the people consulting them here in Europe? They must have someone who KNOWS these things…

And those autorouting features… sorry, but they’re trying to sell it as if it were some kind of innovation… it’s been basic stuff for a flightplanning tool in Europe for many years…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Oct 20:48
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, sure they sound a little clumsy in the video but they are investing and improving. Surely that is in all of our interests? The alternative is just SkyDemon which is good but also has plenty of flaws. Competition can only help, no?

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Oct 20:36
EGTK Oxford

Currently it is still a US app, with some European features like the VFR charts and Eurocontrol autorouting.

And terms like YFR and ZFR, which simply don’t “exist” over here

The terms don’t exist but Y and Z do, and need to be automatically generated and presented as the only option if operating to/from non-IFR airports in countries which prohibit “I” flight plans to such airports (e.g. Germany, but not the UK). They should also be generated even if not needed, because the overall track miles can be a big saving, in certain “silly sid/star” scenarios.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The terms don’t exist but Y and Z do

Exactly. They (YFR and ZFR) don’t exist.

It’s not nitpicking. It’s about the impression that you make on your (potential) customers, and the confidence that you instil that you really know what you are talking about.
But enough of the free advice…

BTW Jason, Skydemon is no alternative, since it doesn’t do IFR flightplanning.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Oct 21:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Skydemon is no alternative, since it doesn’t do IFR flightplanning.

Now that Achim has vanished from EuroGA for the 6th time (and given the bizzare UK GA “go for maximum self inflicted damage at all costs” community politics) I would fully expect Tim Dawson (who wrote SD) to be finally talking to Achim about Autorouter licensing. He can also see the writing on the wall unless he packs SD with a load more features before the competition gets there. We had this a few years ago, when Jepp’s MFDVFR (and possibly even Garmin Pilot) looked like it would have gone somewhere.

FF has an opportunity to produce a more clean solution, but they need to move along faster with Europe-specific features

That YT video is for the US market.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I just tried the VFR router using the profile for a P28U. Check the log and what do I see – TAS 217 kts

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t get the “we build aircraft profiles for you”. I build a profile from scratch in SD in 20 minutes max (when SD asked the community for profiles for their library, I submitted 14). Sorry but I don’t see the value of paying FF for this feature, to get this in the end:
Peter_Mundy wrote:

P28U…TAS 217 kts

ESMK, Sweden

Peter_Mundy wrote:

So I just tried the VFR router using the profile for a P28U. Check the log and what do I see – TAS 217 kts

Well loading one of their typically very good performance profiles i got this. You sure it wasnt some randm users profile?

EGTK Oxford

I currently use Garmin Pilot with Jepp plates for IFR and SD for VFR and have been very happy using this for a while now. Can someone explain any benefits of changing to FF? For context I have a GTN650 and GNS430W for navigation. For flight planning I use RocketRoute which is costly but a good tool.

Last Edited by JohnR at 03 Oct 16:13
EGBW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message