Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

jfw wrote:

DO you have any view when additional countries will be added to EU data ?
I am specially looking for BENELUX (Belgium – Netherlands – Luxembourg)

So when I said very, very soon jfw, I meant it. If you don’t see a country you are looking for right now, we have more in progress as we speak so stay tuned to future releases. We have a very full release schedule for new features over the next several months.

ForeFlight 10.5 release notes:

Visit foreflight.com/10-5 to learn more.

Expanded Coverage for Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Iceland
All European subscribers can now download AIPs for Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Iceland, which include airport diagrams, instrument approach charts, VFR approach charts, documents, IFR enroute charts for Austria and Iceland, and the VFR ICAO chart for Iceland. Jeppesen’s IFR aeronautical data is also included for all countries, and Jeppesen’s VFR data is included for all countries except Iceland.
A number of optional VFR add-ons are also available to enhance your visual flying:
Rogers VFR Guide and VFR ICAO chart (Austria)
DFS Visual 500 charts (Austria, Belgium, and Luxembourg)
CartaBossy Weekday and Weekend VFR charts (Belgium and Luxembourg)
Jeppesen VFR procedure charts (Austria, Belgium, and Luxembourg)
ForeFlight already provides advanced flight planning capabilities in all four countries, including fast autorouting and EUROCONTROL route validation, IFR and VFR flight plan filing, and helpful flight plan notifications like EUROCONTROL slot allocation messages, flight suspension and de-suspension notices, and calculated takeoff time (CTOT) messages caused by flight plan delays.

Synthetic Vision on iPhone
Synthetic Vision looks fantastic on the iPhone! See high-resolution 3D terrain, obstacles, and runways in full screen Portrait or Landscape mode.
Pair with an AHRS-capable ADS-B receiver like Sentry or compatible Garmin equipment for dynamic backup attitude and traffic display.
Synthetic Vision is included in Pro Plus subscriptions and higher.

Maps in Logbook
You can now see your flight route on an interactive map within Logbook entries.
View your route overlayed on the Aeronautical Map layer, and zoom in to examine your taxi movements on embedded airport diagrams.
ForeFlight depicts the actual route when there is an associated Track Log for the flight, or the planned route if no Track Log is linked.

Flight Document Sharing
Share your flight’s detailed Navlog and ICAO Flight Plan form as a combined PDF using the updated Send To menu in the top right of Flights.
Send the PDF to other pilots or crew members via AirDrop, email, text, or through other apps on your device.

2018 iPad Pro Support
ForeFlight supports Apple’s new iPad Pro models, including the new screen size on the 11-inch iPad Pro.

More to come!

Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Hi Josh, thanks for the update!
Sounds very good, happy to hear.
Would be great if the AUSTRIA ICAO VFR chart could also be implemented (like the icelandic one).
https://www.austrocontrol.at/jart/prj3/ac/data/dokumente/Aeronautical_Chart_ICAO_2018_front_v1.0_2018-08-09_080826.pdf

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi Josh

Thanks for the update.
Are there any plans making the logbook more EASA friendly, e.g. currencies? Also it would be really neat if block/takeoff/landing time could be auto detected (at least take off and landing times should not be to hard to detect?).
Any update on document support on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Jonas

Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

Hi Josh, thanks for the update!
Sounds very good, happy to hear.
Would be great if the AUSTRIA ICAO VFR chart could also be implemented (like the icelandic one).
https://www.austrocontrol.at/jart/prj3/ac/data/dokumente/Aeronautical_Chart_ICAO_2018_front_v1.0_2018-08-09_080826.pdf

Hi Snoopy. We have been in talks with Austro Control about supplying these charts to our users (and are continuing to discuss). Because these charts are not supplied in the AIP and are marked not for commercial use, we need permission to use them. We are continuing to work with other national organizations to bring as many free digital charts as we can.

PepperJo wrote:

Hi Josh

Thanks for the update.
Are there any plans making the logbook more EASA friendly, e.g. currencies? Also it would be really neat if block/takeoff/landing time could be auto detected (at least take off and landing times should not be to hard to detect?).
Any update on document support on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Jonas

Hi Jonas,

Yes! Everything you mentioned is on our logbook and tracklog roadmap! Documents on iPhone are also on our radar. I don’t have timeline to share, but folks in the U.S. and Canada are eager for this as well.

Josh

Last Edited by Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight at 27 Nov 22:34
KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

So when I said very, very soon jfw, I meant it.

I see

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Just downloaded the latest update that includes support for Sweden and Finland! Niceness!

martin-esmi wrote:

Just downloaded the latest update that includes support for Sweden and Finland! Niceness!

You beat me to it Martin. Yes, country coverage continues and we plan to continue this rollout cycle until Europe is supported. New features (including requests we have seen here) are slated to start rolling in early next year, so I will post more information as available.

A couple of questions for you all:

• If you had to pick one feature you would like to see if ForeFlight next year, what would it be?
  • For the country where you fly the most, what data (charts, procedures, weather, etc.) outside of the AIP would you like to have in the app?

I’ll keep track of the posts as we continue to plan 2019.

Thanks all and Happy Holidays,

Josh

KGTU, United States

The number one feature in my opinion would be automatic airspace de-cluttering (not fade but hide) with an option to manually select airspace displayed. In other words, a filter which can be set for upper & lower bounds (in thousands of feet) as well as completely hiding certain classes of airspace (A,B,C,D,E,F,G).

I have bought the performance plus package a while back and remain of the belief that ForeFlight Europe is not a worthy purchase for anyone who does not meet the below criteria:

• Flies solely IFR in countries where FF provides geo-referenced AIP plates
  • Flies solely IFR with a Jeppesen subscription
  • Uses FF due to convenience of integration with panel mounted avionics

Some key issues that appear not to be addressed in any releases over the last 6 months:

• Airspace de-cluttering (mentioned above). Makes the app simply unusable for VFR.
  • Waypoint constraints for IFR autorouting
  • Off airway IFR waypoints not on map at any zoom level (are available in FF database). Example for me personally: ADNAM, a classic coming into EGSC
  • Graphical NOTAMs (a must of VFR)
  • Some people I’ve talked to have mentioned that the aeronautical map layer simply doesn’t show enough detail for VFR (roads, towns etc.)
  • Auto-suggestions when adding waypoints into a flight-plan. FF should be able to provide suggestions based on letters of waypoint already typed.
  • Detail around who the IFR flight-plan is being addressed to + ways to add addressees
  • An easier way to reach the procedures for a given airport. Currently it’s multiple clicks & scrolls. Should be its own tab.

This is just my opinion. It is also my opinion that one should be made aware of these limitations ahead of spending this kind of money on a non-finished product (appreciate FF US is a completely separate market). I wouldn’t renew at present.

EGSX

Thanks TimR,

Appreciate the feedback and I’ll take note of any items that are not currently on the roadmap and see what we can do.

Josh.

P.S. Let’s keep it to one feature so I can better track priority. If you’d like to provide additional feedback, feel free to message me directly as well.

KGTU, United States

Thanks Josh – the number one feature would be the de-cluttering of airspace (again just my opinion).

It is great of you guys to be active in the community like this and respond to feedback – thanks!

EGSX
Sign in to add your message