Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Seneca HB-LSD down in Basel

At an RVR 750 the single crew approach ban applied, unless an old Seneca 1 had a CAT 1 coupled autopilot and it was in use.

As part of my collection of elements which the FAA emphasises over EASA: the briefing of the approach light systems, what satisfies visual cues both at DA and beyond, and how single crew should transition to visual.

Have actually heard IR instructors brief not to bother looking up approaching DA as the EASA IR test typically goes missed at DA on the 3-D approach – go missed when the G1000 alerts minimums!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

At an RVR 750 the single crew approach ban applied, unless an old Seneca 1 had a CAT 1 coupled autopilot and it was in use.

If I‘m not mistaken, it‘s 550m if coupled and 750m if not coupled.

Have actually heard IR instructors brief not to bother looking up approaching DA as the EASA IR test typically goes missed at DA on the 3-D approach – go missed when the G1000 alerts minimums!

Just one example of how we train one way, and do it differently in practice.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It depends further on the type of runway lighting. Various past threads; one is around here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JohnR wrote:

I have always wondered why if you have an EASA IR you automatically have night privileges

You don’t! The night qualification is separate. If you have an IR without a NQ, you are not allowed to fly IFR by night. See FCL.610(a)(1)(i).

and don’t need to do the compulsory night landings that a VFR pilot must do every year to remain current.

There is no requirement for a VFR pilot to make compulsory night landings to retain currency. However, in order to carry passengers by night, you have to have made at least one night landing in the last 90 days. See FCL.060(b)(2)(i).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Oct 18:08
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There are various short quotes which don’t preserve context.

The JAA / EASA IR gives you automatic night passenger carriage privileges.

A holder of any other IR (or no IR) has to make the required night landings in the last 90 days, in order to carry passengers at night. The FAA requires three night takeoffs and landings, and they have to be done 30 mins later than for EASA i.e. official sunset plus 1hr.

So if you have an EASA IR and are flying an N-reg, you still get the automatic night passenger privileges, but only in the airspace owned by the country which issued the EASA IR (ref: FAR 61.3) This paragraph is applicable to European N-reg pilots who have an IR, except those making use of the derogations.

Administrator

In Belgium you need the night VFR rating before you can take the IR test.

EBST, Belgium

That’s interesting. A day-only IR (one not needing the CV test pass) was available in the UK under the table for many years, but EASA formalised it as fully available, AIUI.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That’s interesting. A day-only IR (one not needing the CV test pass) was available in the UK under the table for many years

As you say thats more of less how it was, but it was not ‘under the table’ ….. around 25 years ago when I did the UK I/R my friend on the course who had a CV problem officially added the rating with a day only restriction and this was shown on the licence.

For me I didnt have enough night hours at the time, if I recall correctly 20 hours night flying was required before they could issue the rating.

It was under the table after 1999, when JAA “banned” it

Administrator

EASA minimum single pilot without coupled a/p is 800m

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message