Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

Map for the Netherlands and German bit – Rotterdam – Straubing for fuel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6b1tmh06gvmgya/Rotterdam%20-%20Straubing.jpg

Just a camera shot of my screen, but should be good enough to show the idea.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Hi Warley,

From personal experience in VFR SEP you should try to avoid longer legs over water for peace of mind. I would suggest going through Belgium instead where ATC is very forthcoming in regards to letting you cross BUB in FL90. You are then already south of Cologne but don’t expect any VFR goodies from Frankfurt

best regards
mrfacts

EDLN and EDKB

The engine doesn’t know it’s over water. I did MBPV – TJIG (Provo to San Juan), 4.5 hours. TNCM – TVSV (St. Maarten – ET Joshua, St Vincent) about 3 hours. TVSV – TNCC (Curacao) about 4 hours. TNCC – MDJB (Dominican Rep) about 4 hours. MDJB – MYLS (Long Island Bahamas) – 4 hours.

http://flightlogg.in/logbook-page-1/openiduser1452

If anyone wants to fly in the Caribbean – let me know, I can help organise :)
Trip of a lifetime.

The engine doesn’t know it’s over water.

It does and it appreciates your confidence. After an improvised engine repair in Africa, things turned out so that my first flight would be over the sea at night and new moon. During that flight, the engine and I bonded and we now fully trust each other.

Ins’t the easiest way to fly to LDLO VFR from the UK to go via the middle of France, and then fly across the N bit of Italy, and then straight down to LDLO?

Then you “just” need an up to date map of N Italy and work out a route through there. I don’t know if SD is now current for that region. Navbox normally is current.

Last Edited by Peter at 08 May 08:40
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The N bit of Italy airspace (south of Milan) is not very VFR friendly I think…

Very much so, but anybody who can read a map can work out a (low level) route through it. OCAS, you can then just fly it.

One needs a current map of N Italy. I have only the last (2013) Jepp ones. The whole Italy update on my JeppFD-VFR trial (ending 9th June) still refuses to load and Jepp are investigating.

I believe the Italian map mentioned by boscomatico is available from some online shop.

This is from current Flitestar VFR Europe. Does it look like it might be current?

Last Edited by Peter at 08 May 09:55
Administrator

Hi Warley,

I have some doubts about your route. How come that Allersberg VOR/DME is in your route? The VOR got turned off 2008.
There is no way you get a clearance through Frankfurt airspace C (your route MTR-ALB) below FL140.
It is also not very likely to get a clearance through airspace C around Cologne on your route. MHV-MTR crosses the final approach of Dusseldorf (EDDL) and is usually quite busy.
It all depends on your altitude.

I’d rather cross Belgium instead of the Netherlands as in it is much easier to cross Brussels TMA (minimum alt is FL90) than doing a lo level flight at 1500ft in the Netherlands.
You would be further south and can route south of Frankfurt to avoid it. You usually get a route (Koksy or Costa VORBUB- ARCKY- SUXIM) Over OLIVI DKB you would avoid Frankfurt. Be aware of parachute jumping near Thalmässing.

United Kingdom

Thanks all, and working hard on this one.

No. 265 (mdoerr) in particular. I talked to a UK guy today (he’s done it) and yes he says, like wise, do the Belgium thing which take one south of Frankfurt.
This ‘first look’ was on an Out Of Date (OOD) NavBox. I would have found that Allersberg VOR was ‘dead’ when getting down to detail with current charts.

I’ll have a re-look.

Peter. I’ll take a proper look at the ‘French’ and then east over northern Italy. In my mind it just sound a long way round.
My idea of flying is a ‘straight line’. I know that’s wishful thinking, but it’s my starting point.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 08 May 23:35
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

If I was doing this VFR in the TB20 I would do it in one long leg, right across the Alps. Essentially the IFR route but lower down (may not get CAS transit) and less convoluted. But then I can go as high as is needed. I don’t know how high you can go.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message