Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TKS ice protection for a TB20

Peter wrote:

A really interesting feature is the, ahem, limited serviceability of the stall warner, after you fit the TKS panel over it

But don’t you just love the accuracy of Socata’s stall warning panel where it fits to the wing leading edge!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Well, the hole in the wing is neat. I suspect the little panel was hacked with one of these

by some old guy in a shed in rural France Socata supply chain partner

I am tempted to throw some money at replacing the switch, just in case. It is a standard microswitch with a long lever. Hmmm… might be an obscure French one… aaaarrrrggghhhh

I had two cases, about 3 years ago, when the stall warner failed to work on a preflight. The fault cleared itself, mysteriously, and never came back.

The new CB panel looks quite good, with the metal strips, laboriously milled from 1.5mm ally and painted with super-toxic 2K paint

The colour match didn’t work out too close…

They fit nicely on a 28mm pitch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Socata seem to sell the switch separately, which is good news

Administrator

I have already had to change some stall switches on TBs…
One more thing, if someone pass to close to the leading edge and hit and bend the small plate, then you need to open to adjust it again as per Socata MM.
What about the wing deiced factory mounted TBs?
thomas

LFPE

@tomtom what exactly was wrong with the stall warning switches you had to replace?

AFAICT the factory installed TKS is the same as the one I am fitting, including around the stall warner.

The only difference is that the old installations, say pre 1990-1995, had a different “look” of TKS panel which had a sort of fine mesh all over its outside surface, whereas my panels are a brushed finish and with a 40x microscope you can just see the tiny holes, but they are only within about 1/3 of the panel height. Also the installer workmanship is very visibly hugely variable…

Administrator

As far as I remember, the switch was not contacting frankly maybe due to moisture and corrosion inside…? I did not investigate much more and systematically replaced it for such a Nogo item.
I also had to change it once or twice because it had been bent…
I am quite surprised that this part can not be replaced anymore on wing deiced TBs

LFPE

It can be accessed but you would need to drill out the rivets and chisel off the TKS panel, with almost certain damage to the panel. There would also be damage to the wing leading edge but that will be covered by the panel. I read somewhere that the only way to remove the panels is with a powered chisel.

It’s not satisfactory…

Administrator

Would it be possible to cut out an access hole into the wing below the switch and TKS panels to get at the switch from behind, and then cover it with a removable panel?

Biggin Hill

Not as it stands because the screws come out from the front. But yes a mod may be possible.

The extent of the mod would be well outside any reasonable deviation from the STC IMHO.

Administrator

BTW that TKS panel is screwed not riveted. For this reason no doubt

Administrator
Sign in to add your message